[comp.unix.questions] Timezone processing

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (12/02/90)

In article <28082@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>Of course, now that Unix is being `internationalized', someone will
>have to fix `cal'.  Clearly the right answer is to adopt the System V
>convention, and code the rules into an environment variable. :-)

>(The above was intended as a sarcastic comment about SV `TZ' rules.
>Why POSIX did not just adopt the Arthur Olson approach is beyond me.)

OK...so what was the Arthur Olson approach? The TZ setup, at least in the
System V release 2 systems I've used, seems like a very usable approach.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/03/90)

In article <4393@lib.tmc.edu> jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:
>OK...so what was the Arthur Olson approach? The TZ setup, at least in the
>System V release 2 systems I've used, seems like a very usable approach.

While there is nothing wrong with using an environment variable to name
the desired time zone, there IS something wrong with trying to encode
detailed time conversion rules within it.

>OK...so what was the Arthur Olson approach?

Have the rules for changing between standard and summer time represented
as a list of times/dates at which the offset from GMT changes,
corresponding offsets, flags indicating whether this is standard or
summer time, and abbreviations for the time zone.  Have a compiler that
turns various specifications for the rules into such a list, and store
that list in a file.  Have "tzset()" and company load up the table from
those files; the setting of the TZ environment variable specifies the
file to load.

>The TZ setup, at least in the System V release 2 systems I've used,
>seems like a very usable approach.

It seems so only under some circumstances.

Problems with it:

1) as it appears in AT&T releases prior to S5R3.1, *all* it can specify
   is the time zone abbreviation for standard time, the offset from GMT
   for standard time, and the optional time zone abbreviation for summer
   time if summer time is used.  The actual rules for when the times
   change are *hardcoded* into a library routine.

   Needless to say, this sucks big time if you live in an area where the
   rules don't match those hardcoded into the library routine.  Areas
   outside the US don't use the same rules as the US (even Canada
   skipped Tricky Dicky's modifications of the rules in the '70s, as far
   as I know); areas *inside* the US don't use the rules that were found
   in most if not all UNIX systems, because the rules changed in 1987
   and UNIX systems made before then - and even lots made after then -
   had the old rules.  (The rule change in question was what originally
   prompted Olson's work on this stuff.)

   It also didn't handle areas with time zones not offset from GMT by an
   even number of hours; yes, they exist.

2) as it appears in S5R3.1, you can specify the rules for the *current*
   year, specifying the date and time at which summer time starts and
   the date at which it ends.  You can also specify the offset from GMT
   of summer time, if it doesn't happen to be one hour off from the
   offset of standard time (e.g., "double daylight savings time" with
   the clock shifting two hours).

   It handles areas with time zones not offset from GMT by an even
   number of hours.  It also lets you specify not only the dates when
   the clock moves forward or back, but the *time of day* when it
   happens; yes, not everybody does it at 2AM local time.

   This does let you convert UNIX times to local time if the time is in
   the current year, and most times are probably in the current year
   most of the time; however, close only counts in horseshoes - not
   *all* times are in the current year, and if it's right after January
   1, a fair number of e.g. times on files are not in the current year.

   What's more, it requires the system administrator to change the
   system time zone every year.  The syntax is a bit sucky, in that the
   dates are specified as day numbers within the year; *I* sure don't
   think in those terms, and don't have any table to give me that
   information conveniently.  Maybe AT&T gives out calendars like that,
   but I sure don't have one here....

3) the POSIX scheme lets you specify certain kinds of repeating rules,
   e.g. "first Sunday in October", so that you don't have to change the
   time zone every year, can have some dates outside the current year
   converted correctly, and don't have to deal with day numbers relative
   to the beginning of the year.

   Unfortunately, this *still* doesn't handle rules that *aren't*
   repeating.  The US rules generally repeat, but if you want to include
   pre-1987 and post-1987 times, they don't.  Other countries change
   their rules fairly frequently, e.g. Australia (one of the other
   people who worked on the Olson time zone stuff was Robert Elz, an
   Australian; he had a very *definite* incentive for doing that).

   According to the person who contributed the most recent rules for
   Israel, prior to 1989, the rules changed every year, and from 1989
   onwards summer time commences midnight of the first Saturday night
   following Passover, and standard time is reinstated "on the Saturday
   night whereupon Jews following the Ashkenazi (European) rite begin to
   recite the Selichot (forgiveness) prayers prior to the Jewish Lunar New
   Year).

   On top of that, if you want to find out what time it is now in some
   other country, you have to know what the right rules and GMT offset
   are, and set TZ based on that.

4) the Olson scheme deals with all the objections above:

	since the file contains a list of times at which the offset from
	GMT changes, it can represent any rules that fit within the
	file; they don't have to be described by some simple repeating
	rule.  The files are generally limited to 370 transitions, which
	is enough to handle 138 years of the proposed US scheme wherein
	the transitions are different in Presidential election years - or
	a bit more than a year's worth of solar time (corrected daily to
	the nearest second), although that still has the "only within
	the current year" limitation and may now be obsolete if the
	Saudis no longer use solar time.

	The offsets are in seconds, and the transition times are UNIX
	times, so time zones not an integral number of hours from GMT
	can be handled, and the transition times aren't hard-coded.

	Except in areas using Solar time, they can convert dates in the
	past all the way to 1970, if the rules have been put into a
	file; they can attempt to convert dates in the future, under the
	assumption that the rules to be used are known at the time the
	rule file is made.

	The rule file syntax is fairly friendly; you don't have to know
	the day number within a year of a date.

	If you want to know what time it is in Japan, you can do

		TZ=Japan date

	in the Bourne/Korn/Bourne-again shells, or something slightly
	more annoying in the C shell (thanks to its lack of a convenient
	ability to override an environment variable setting for one
	command).  You don't have to already know what the offset from
	GMT for Japan is.

   And the cost is small.  The most recent set of files, as they appear
   in SunOS 4.1 (BTW, the rules files are in a machine-independent
   format; that was one of my contributions to this stuff), take up
   238KB of disk space (8K/1K file system), and include a fair number of
   countries.  The main memory overhead for the table is less than 1K;
   the code takes up about 8.8K on a SPARC (SunOS 4.1 version), and
   requires about 230 bytes of data+BSS.  The time spent loading the
   table wasn't very large, either, when I tested it on various machines
   (diskless Sun-3/50, 3B2), and you only do it once, not once per date.

BSD picked it up after 4.3BSD; SunOS picked it up in SunOS 4.0; various
other vendors have picked it up - including AT&T in System V Release 4.