[comp.unix.questions] plock

mef@remus.rutgers.edu (Marc E. Fiuczynski) (12/10/90)

Does anyone know have a man page on plock() funciton?
As far as I know it is supposed to give a process very
highpriority!!!  I remember seeing it used on a 3B2 running
SVR3.2.1.
Marc Fiuczynski                                 |       mef@remus.rutgers.edu
						|       mef@klinzhai.rutgers.edu
Rpo 5814, Po Box 5063                           |
New Brunswick, NJ 08903                         |       Tel.: (908)/878-9388

james@dlss2.UUCP (James Cummings) (12/10/90)

SYSNOPIS
	#include <sys/lock.h>
	int plock(op)
	int op;
DESCRIPTION
	plock allows the calling process to lock its text segment (text lock),
	its data segment (datalock), or both its text and data segments
	(process lock) into memory.  Locked segments are immune to all
	routine swapping.  plock also allows these segments to be unlocked.
	The effective user ID of the calling process must be super-user to
	use this call Op specifies the following:
		PROCLOCK - process lock
		TXTLOCK  - text lock
		DATLOCK  - data lock
		UNLOCK   - remove locks

	Hope that helps.

craig@attcan.UUCP (Craig Campbell) (12/11/90)

In article <Dec.9.18.47.25.1990.17008@remus.rutgers.edu> mef@remus.rutgers.edu (Marc E. Fiuczynski) writes:
>Does anyone know have a man page on plock() funciton?
>As far as I know it is supposed to give a process very
>highpriority!!!  I remember seeing it used on a 3B2 running
>SVR3.2.1.
>--
>================================================================================
>Marc Fiuczynski                                 |       mef@remus.rutgers.edu
>						|       mef@klinzhai.rutgers.edu
>Rpo 5814, Po Box 5063                           |
>New Brunswick, NJ 08903                         |       Tel.: (908)/878-9388
>================================================================================

plock(2) - lock process, text, or data in memory

#include <sys/lock.h>

int plock(op)
int op;

Description

plock allows the calling process to lock its text segment (text locks), its
data segment (data lock), or both its text and data segment (process lock) into
memory.  Locked segments are immune to all routine swapping.  plock also allows
these segments to be unlocked.  The effective user iID of the calling process
must be super-user to use this call.  op specifies the following:

	PROCLOC	lock text and data segments into memory (process lock)

	TXTLOCK	lock text segment into memory (text lock)

	DATLOCK	lock data segment into memory (data lock)

	UNLOCK	removes locks.

I'm tired of typing......
stuff omitted.......

For return codes and reasons for failures, see the Programmer's Reference
Manual, section 2.

craig

jgo@mcgp1.UUCP (John Opalko, N7KBT) (12/11/90)

The plock() system call doesn't give your process a high priority, but it
does prevent it from being swapped out.

    SYNOPSIS
	#include <sys/lock.h>

	int plock (op)
	int op;

    Op specifies the following:

	PROCLOCK - lock text and data segments into memory (process lock)

	TXTLOCK  - lock text segment into memory (text lock)

	DATLOCK  - lock data segment into memory (data lock)

	UNLOCK   - remove locks

As you might suspect, you have to be root to use this hummer and, as usual,
it returns 0 if successful and -1 if not, with the obligatory setting
of errno.

Hope this helps.