[comp.unix.questions] ESIX mail problems

is@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Bob Stearns) (12/18/90)

I have been trying for several days, with the help of several other staff
members (all of us have gotten one or another machine or machines mailer's
to work successfully, we run the campus mail rerouter), to get the ESIX
implementation of mail to work. We have been singularly unsuccessful, without
being able to understand just why.

We checked the sendmail.cf and it is generating addresses which seem to be
correct, we read the manual (!!!) sections several times, we even went so
far as to open a direct telnet 25 connection and feed the mail datagrams by
hand. Each of these gave the expected result, but the system will not move
mail either way, onto or off the system.

One last note, mail to local users works perfectly well, as do FTP and telnet.

Any insight to our problem, replacements for mail, patch levels, etc will be
gratefully received. I read both of these newsgroups, but to save overall
net bandwidth reply to is@athena.cs.uga.edu if possible.

If I see a number of "me too" type message I will summarize to these newsgroups.

	Thanks in advance, Bob Stearns, UCNS, UGa

In article <1990Dec17.203620.24968@athena.cs.uga.edu> is@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Bob Stearns) writes:
>I have been trying for several days, with the help of several other staff
>members (all of us have gotten one or another machine or machines mailer's
>to work successfully, we run the campus mail rerouter), to get the ESIX
>
>We checked the sendmail.cf and it is generating addresses which seem to be

 (Sigh).

 Generic advice:-

 Create a file with your favorite editor.  It should contain:

------------------
To: user@some.domain
Subject: Test

Just testing.  Please ignore.
------------------

  Of course you should replace 'user@some.domain' with the actual address
you are trying to send to.

 Now do the following:  (You should be able to do this as an ordinary user,
			 You should not be root).

 /usr/lib/sendmail -v -t < file

 Of course 'file' is replaced by the name of the file you created.

 If this works, the problem is in your mail user program, which is not
sending the message to 'sendmail' in the correct format (or at all?).

 If it doesn't work, the '-v' (verbose) should give you some idea as to what
is happening, and what is going wrong.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940