[comp.unix.questions] Why does "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect results?

khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) (11/27/90)

Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

-Ken

--
+========================================================================+
| Ken Henry, 203 Myrtle #102 | khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu|319-335-5491 W|

Nathan.Torkington@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington) (11/27/90)

In article <3313@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:
>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

I believe there was a date change sometime, where the civilised world lost
a fortnight to allow the 'old calendar' to become the 'new calendar' which
would be in sync with the seasons ...

-Nat.
[   Death@comp.vuw.ac.nz aka Blackadder@st1.vuw.ac.nz aka Nathan Torkington   ]
[ "Graeme Lee ... a condom on the penis of progress"              - Bob Jones ]
[ This is not an official communication of Victoria University, Wellington NZ ]

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) (11/27/90)

khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:

>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

$ cal 9 1752
   September 1752
 S  M Tu  W Th  F  S
       1  2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Actually, these are the correct results, at least in some
parts of the world. Up till 1752, a different calendar
was in use, which was more incorrect than the one we now use.
Because of that, the dates had gotten eleven days out of sync
with reality. When the change occurred, there were many protests
from people, complaining they lost eleven days of their life!

In many countries, however, this calendar is indeed wrong.
Obviously, this is what you meant in the first place :-) :-).
I seem to remember that most parts of Europe (excluding, of
course, England :-)) changed in 1593, and losed only ten days
instead of eleven in the process.

-					Gerben.
--
--- Gerben Vos - Aconet: BIGBEN!Gerben Vos - Internet: gpvos@cs.vu.nl
---- Definition of intelligence: Anything a human does better than a computer

khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) in <3313@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> writes:

	Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
	results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
	checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

The calendar was revised back then; read any recent WORLD ALMANAC or modern
encyclopedia for more background info.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (11/27/90)

khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:

>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

Actually it's correct.  That month was shorted 13 days (or whatever)
due to calendar reform; the previous calendar was getting out of step
with the seasons, so in one fell swoop they caught up the calendar and
instituted a new leap-year strategy.

Kenneth Herron
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                        (606) 257-2975

jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) (11/28/90)

khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:

>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

>-Ken

That is the month in which England switched calendars.  They
really did jump from the 2nd to the 14th.  The change was
needed to compensate for errors in the older calendar.
Incidentally in most of Europe the switch in calendars
occurred at a different time.

Jerry

fuchs@it.uka.de (Harald Fuchs) (11/28/90)

Nathan.Torkington@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington) writes:

>In article <3313@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:
>>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

>I believe there was a date change sometime, where the civilised world lost
>a fortnight to allow the 'old calendar' to become the 'new calendar' which
>would be in sync with the seasons ...

You seem to think of the Julian -> Gregorian calendar shift, but that
was 1582 AD.
How about a little perl script? Doesn't handle Julian dates either
but should work for the Gregorian calendar. I'm sure one of the Perl
lords on the net will come up with a one-liner, but for the time being...

----------------- snip snip snippety snip ------------------------------
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
$0 =~ s:.*/::;
$[ = 1;
# Argument check
if ($#ARGV == 1) {
  $all = 1;
  $m = 1;
  $y = shift;
} elsif ($#ARGV == 2) {
  $m = shift;
  die "$0: bad month \"$m\"\n" if $m !~ /^\d{1,2}$/ || $m < 1 || $m > 12;
  $y = shift;
} else {
  die "Usage: $0 [month] year\n";
}
die "$0: bad year \"$y\"\n" if $y !~ /^\d{4}$/ || $y <= 1582;
# First weekday
$w = &wday (1, $m, $y) + 1;
print "$y\n";
if ($all) {
  for $m (1..12) { $w = &month ($m, $y, $w); }
} else {
  $w = &month ($m, $y, $w);
}

sub wday { # (d, m, y)
  # Day of the week, Gregorian calendar
  local ($d, $m, $y) = @_;
  local ($f) = $y * 365 + $d + 31 * ($m - 1);
  if ($m <= 2) {
    $y--;
  } else {
    $f -= int ($m * 0.4 + 2.3);
  }
  $f += int ($y / 4) - int (0.75 * int ($y / 100) + 0.75);
  # Return 0 for Monday, ..., 6 for Sunday
  ($f + 5) % 7;
}

sub month { # (m, y, w)
  # Print out one month
  local ($m, $y, $w) = @_;
  local (@l) = (31, 28, 31, 30, 31, 30, 31, 31, 30, 31, 30, 31);
  $l[2]++ if !($y % 4) && $y % 100 || !($y % 400);
  local (@n) = (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec);
  print "\n$n[$m]\n\n";
  local (@wd) = (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun);
  local ($_);
  for (1..$l[$m]) {
    printf "%s\t%2d\n", $wd[$w], $_;
    $w = ($w % 7) + 1;
  }
  $w;
}

# local variables:
# mode: perl
# end:
----------------- snip snip snippety snip ------------------------------
--

Harald Fuchs <fuchs@it.uka.de> <fuchs%it.uka.de@relay.cs.net> ...
<fuchs@telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.dbp.de>   *gulp*

goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.170041.28341@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, psmielke@lotus.uwaterloo.ca (Peter Mielke) writes:

> > I believe there was a date change sometime, where the civilised
> > world lost a fortnight to allow the 'old calendar' to become the
> > 'new calendar' which would be in sync with the seasons ...
>
> It was more than a fortnight, and it took the governments white a bit
		     ^^^^^^^^^
> of explaining tothe general populous that they were not being ripped
> off 2 weeks of their life (i'm not quite sure if it came to riots in
      ^^^^^^^
> the streets)

Begging your pardon, but a fortnight *is* two weeks.

In any case, the British Empire's conversion to the Gregorian
calendar in 1752 was implemented by having September 2nd be
followed directly by September 14th.  This is a loss of eleven
days, not "more than a fortnight".  But you're correct about the
unrest in the general populace.

Time and date keeping was much more parochial and provincial several
centuries ago compared to the present.  Not only did each town
reckon its own (solar-based) time of day (standard "time zones" did
not appear until introduced by American railroads in the late 1800s),
but it was also common for neighboring countries to use completely
different calendars.  Britain lagged most of continental Europe in
finally converting to the Gregorian system, but note that Russia did
not convert until after its revolution in 1917!  That's how the
so-called "October Revolution" ended up with its anniversary in
November.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
USA

rls@svcs1.UUCP (Bob Strait) (11/28/90)

khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:

>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

Much depends on what you mean by "incorrect."  September, 1752,
was when the English-speaking world adopted the Gregorian
calendar, a couple of centuries after Pope Gregory and the
Roman Empire converted.  By that time the Julian calendar was
eleven days out of sync with the Gregorian calendar so they
simply dropped the 11 days.  Thus, the next day after
September 2, 1752, (Julian) became September 14, 1752, (Gregorian).
It looks funny, but it IS "correct."  By the way, that's
why we (used to) celebrate Washington's Birthday on February 22.
Washington was actually born on February 11, 1732 (Julian).
--
BUBBA	(aka Bob Strait)		...!mips!svcs1!rls
Silicon Valley Computer Society

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (11/28/90)

In article fuchs@it.uka.de (Harald Fuchs) writes:
>Nathan.Torkington@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington) writes:
>>In article khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:
>>>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>
>>I believe there was a date change sometime, where the civilised world lost
>>a fortnight to allow the 'old calendar' to become the 'new calendar' which
>>would be in sync with the seasons ...
>
>You seem to think of the Julian -> Gregorian calendar shift, but that
>was 1582 AD.

In Europe, yes; but here in the colonies (where we're so progressive :-))
it took us 170 years to figure out that we should change the calendar.
Thank God we did it before the revolution, 'cause if we waited 'till
after, Congress probably would've put it on their schedule behind the
Federal budget, and we'd still be two weeks behind Europe today.

In the waning days of the Julian calendar usage in North America, if
ships could make the Atlantic crossing in less than two weeks, you could
mail a letter from London and have it arrive in New York before the day
it was sent.

Daniel Boorstin, in his book "Discoverers" mentions that American
landlords wanted the full months rent for that September, while all the
tenents wanted to pay only two weeks rent.  Can't imagine why?

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Good girls get to go to heaven, but bad girls get to go everywhere!

2011_552@uwovax.uwo.ca (Terry Gaetz (Astronomy, U. Western Ontario)) (11/28/90)

In article <fuchs.659748692@t500m0>, fuchs@it.uka.de (Harald Fuchs) writes:
> Nathan.Torkington@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Nathan Torkington) writes:
>
>>In article <3313@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:
>>>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>>>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>>>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).
>
>>I believe there was a date change sometime, where the civilised world lost
>>a fortnight to allow the 'old calendar' to become the 'new calendar' which
>>would be in sync with the seasons ...
>
> You seem to think of the Julian -> Gregorian calendar shift, but that
> was 1582 AD.

Pope Gregory issued a papal bull in 1582 ordering that the new calendar be
introduced.  It was adopted immediately by Catholic countries and
principalities, but the Greek church and the Protestant countries refused.
The changeover straggled over several centuries - Romania used the Julian
calendar until 1919.

In September 1752, England and the American colonies adopted the Gregorian
calendar.  "Cal 9 1752" correctly handles the transition as adopted by
England and the United States.
--
Terry Gaetz   --   gaetz@uwovax.uwo.ca    or    gaetz@uwovax.BITNET

hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de (Horst Laumer) (11/28/90)

khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:

>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

You claim that the output is incorrect without posting it here.
I think you mock about the 11 days missing, which is
a) correct according to the history of mankind
b) referenced in the manuals, at least on the AT&T SYSV line.

So, before claiming an error, and since you proved the output
on several machines, decide who is wrong: the command you issued
or your opinion about "what is a bug" !

Sincere
HL
Horst Laumer, Kantstrasse 107, D-1000 Berlin 12 ! Bang-Adress: A Relict Of
Domain: hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de              ! Pre-Routing-Times, When
Bang:   ...unido!fub!geminix!sunrise!hotte      ! Computers Were Unmanagable

thorinn@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Lars Henrik Mathiesen) (11/28/90)

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:

>Daniel Boorstin, in his book "Discoverers" mentions that American
>landlords wanted the full months rent for that September, while all the
>tenents wanted to pay only two weeks rent.  Can't imagine why?

Probably because they only got two weeks' pay.

--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark      [uunet!]mcsun!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.      thorinn@diku.dk

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (11/28/90)

In <3313@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:

>Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect
>results?  It seems to be in the Unix systems I
>checked (BSD 4.3, AIX 3.1).

Find a good history book and lookup why it produces the *correct* results.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.011932.19555@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov>, kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

> In the waning days of the Julian calendar usage in North America, if
> ships could make the Atlantic crossing in less than two weeks, you
> could mail a letter from London and have it arrive in New York
> before the day it was sent.

Not likely, since 1752 was when the entire British *Empire* (not just
its colonies) switched to the Gregorian system.  Most of the rest
of Europe had switched at various earlier times.

So your "time-travel" effect wouldn't have worked between England and
North America.  And anyway, the same effect could be achieved with
far less effort simply by crossing the English Channel from France
(Gregorian) to England (Julian).

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.184933.5838@dg-rtp.dg.com> goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) writes:
>In article <1990Nov28.011932.19555@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov>, kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>
>> In the waning days of the Julian calendar usage in North America, if
>> ships could make the Atlantic crossing in less than two weeks, you
>> could mail a letter from London and have it arrive in New York
>> before the day it was sent.
>
>Not likely, since 1752 was when the entire British *Empire* (not just
>its colonies) switched to the Gregorian system.  Most of the rest
>of Europe had switched at various earlier times.

Yeah, read what I meant, not what I said.

--

In article <7895.2752d336@uwovax.uwo.ca> 2011_552@uwovax.uwo.ca
(Terry Gaetz (Astronomy, U. Western Ontario)) writes:
>Pope Gregory issued a papal bull in 1582 ordering that the new calendar be
>introduced.  It was adopted immediately by Catholic countries and
>principalities, but the Greek church and the Protestant countries refused.
>The changeover straggled over several centuries - Romania used the Julian
>calendar until 1919.

(Trust astronomers to know about dates! :-) )

>In September 1752, England and the American colonies adopted the Gregorian
>calendar.  "Cal 9 1752" correctly handles the transition as adopted by
>England and the United States.

Of course, now that Unix is being `internationalized', someone will
have to fix `cal'.  Clearly the right answer is to adopt the System V
convention, and code the rules into an environment variable. :-)

(The above was intended as a sarcastic comment about SV `TZ' rules.
Why POSIX did not just adopt the Arthur Olson approach is beyond me.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)

nick@esacs.UUCP (Nikolaos Tsivranidis) (11/29/90)

	Forget why 'cal 9 1752' doesn't work. Who was the
brilliant (wo)man who wrote this program? Simply amazing!

					- nick -

JRowe@exua.exeter.ac.uk (John Rowe) (11/30/90)

It doesn't. (Sorry if you've already had dozens of versions of the
following posted).

   Under the old Julien calender, instituted by Julius Caeser no less,
there was a leap year every four years. I believe it was the Egyptians
who discovered this one because the seasons and the flooding of the Nile
were happening later every year.

It turned out this was slightly too many so the system was changed so
that years divisable by 100 are not leap years unless they are
divisable by 400 (eg 1900 wasn't, 2000 will be).  My dictionary says
this was done by Pope Gregory in 1582 but not adopted in England 'till
- you guessed it 1752 when people went to bed on Wednesday the 2nd of
September and got up on Thursday the 14th.

Incidently, as I recall there were great protests about this as people
thought they were losing 11 days of their lives. Plus, the Russians
being backward didn't do this which is why the October revolution
didn't happen in October, rather like the battle of Stalingrad which
happened in Volgagrad.

John

John Rowe
Exeter University Computational Physics group.
Exeter
England.

kstock@gouldfr.encore.fr (Kevin STOCK - MIS (Compta)) (11/30/90)

Subject: Re: Why does "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect results?
Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions

In article <5@esacs.UUCP>, nick@esacs.UUCP (Nikolaos Tsivranidis) writes:

> 	Forget why 'cal 9 1752' doesn't work. Who was the
> brilliant (wo)man who wrote this program? Simply amazing!
>
> 					- nick -

Several years back, someone posting a PD version (I think it was called
"calend") which attempted to do the same thing. Unfortunately, it only
checked whether the year was 1752 to decide whether to remove the days.
Since it was based on a count of the number of days each month needed,
1752 ended up looking like this:

				1752

	 Jan			Feb		       Mar
 S  M Tu  W Th  F  S    S  M Tu  W Th  F  S    S  M Tu  W Th  F  S
	  1  2 14 15                      1    1  2 14 15 16 17 18
16 17 18 19 20 21 22    2 14 15 16 17 18 19   19 20 21 22 23 24 25
23 24 25 26 27 28 29   20 21 22 23 24 25 26   26 27 28 29 30 31 32
30 31 32 33 34 35 36   27 28 29 30 31 32 33   33 34 35 36 37 38 39
37 38 39 40 41 42      34 35 36 37 38 39 40   40 41 42

etc. Presumably the author thought that people would only check September,
not the whole of the year!

It's odd - I don't seem to have the source any more ...

  ,---------------.
,-+-------------. |    Kevin Stock
| | E N C O R E | |
`---------------'      kstock@gouldfr.UUCP

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (12/01/90)

In article <614@svcs1.UUCP>, rls@svcs1.UUCP (Bob Strait) writes:
> khenry@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Ken Henry) writes:
>
> > Does anybody know why "cal 9 1752" produce incorrect results?
>
> Much depends on what you mean by "incorrect."  September, 1752,
> was when the English-speaking world adopted the Gregorian
> calendar, a couple of centuries after Pope Gregory and the
> Roman Empire converted.  By that time the Julian calendar was
> eleven days out of sync with the Gregorian calendar so they
> simply dropped the 11 days.  Thus, the next day after
> September 2, 1752, (Julian) became September 14, 1752, (Gregorian).

Except for thinking the naming of the calendars was reversed,
I have no quibble with Bob's answer.  And I have no authority
to support my (previously wrong?) idea.

Bob's answer does lead me to ask a question however.  I have
fequently heard the "+j" option of the date command (which outputs
the day of the year - 1 to 366) referred to the "Julian" date.

Where did this nomenclature come from?

Jon
--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr, attmail!auxnj}!jonlab!jon

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (12/04/90)

In article <890@jonlab.UUCP>, jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
> Bob's answer does lead me to ask a question however.  I have
> fequently heard the "+j" option of the date command (which outputs
> the day of the year - 1 to 366) referred to the "Julian" date.
> Where did this nomenclature come from?

Well, some guy named Joseph Justus Scaliger decided that astronomers
needed a different system of reckoning days.  His system begins on
Jan. 1, 4713 B.C.  That day is numbered 1 and each day after it gets
the next number.  "Jan 1, 1991 will be Julian Day 2,448,256" according
to my almanac.  The screwy part is that on Jan. 1, 3267 A. D. we go back
to Julian Day 1.  Another source says that Julian Days start at noon and
go till the next noon.

As for the Julian Day/Gregorian Calendar conflict, I'd say it was intentional.
Mr. Scaliger devised his system "A year after the Gregorian calendar was
first instituted" (according again to my almanac).  His father was named
Julius Caesar Scaliger.  Looks to me like Joseph didn't appprove of Pope
Gregory's efforts.

Here's something that I haven't seen mentioned: When the Julian Calendar
was introduced by Julius Caesar in 46 B. C., the seasons were off a bit.
So he added some days to square things away.  So "With a total 445 days,
46 B. C. is the longest calendar year on record."   It doesn't say just
where these days were added.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
        You can't tell which way the train went by studying its tracks.

tr@SAMADAMS.PRINCETON.EDU (Tom Reingold) (12/06/90)

Lots of people responded to this question.  Did so many people think
they would be the only one who knew and was willing to post?

I suggest that you look at entire thread before posting to prevent
redundancy.  The way to do that with rn is to hit 'm' to mark the
article and then '^N' to go to the next article with the same subject
line.  I trust there are ways to do this with other newsreaders.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

no-one@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (no-one) (12/06/90)

In article <name deleted to protect the guilty> writes:
>Lots of people responded to this question.  Did so many people think
>they would be the only one who knew and was willing to post?
>
>I suggest that you look at entire thread before posting to prevent
>redundancy.  The way to do that with rn is to hit 'm' to mark the
>article and then '^N' to go to the next article with the same subject
>line.  I trust there are ways to do this with other newsreaders.

I said I wasn't going to do this.... Damn, I'm doing it anyway.

High marks for the rn tutorial.  I'll bet you don't shout the answers
to Jeopardy questions at the TV either. :-)

no-one@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) (12/12/90)

tr@SAMADAMS.PRINCETON.EDU (Tom Reingold) writes:

>Lots of people responded to this question.  Did so many people think
>they would be the only one who knew and was willing to post?
>I suggest that you look at entire thread before posting to prevent
>redundancy.

That's one problem, and it can be overcome (if all readers cooperate -- that's
of course a silly assumption, but anyway...) in the way you mentioned.

The bigger problem is that sometimes news takes a few days to get from
faraway corners of the world (like an obscure site in the U.S. of A.)
to other faraway corners of the world (like Europe, or Australia, or...).

Now, i see an article. I think: "Hey, that's an easy one. Let's hit 'f'".
Then i think: "Oh, let's first see if someone else answered."
I do that, i can't find anything, i go back to the article, i hit 'f'.
I answer the question.
Now, before my followup gets to johndoe@utopia.faraway.com, several days may
pass. In between, someone there thinks: "Hey, that's an easy one. Let's
hit 'f'". Etcetera.

The moral of this story:
That's why replying is so often much better than following-up.
It only floods one mailbox, not the whole network.

Disclaimer: I know i'm guilty of this myself.

-					Gerben.
--
--- Gerben Vos - Aconet: BIGBEN!Gerben Vos - Internet: gpvos@cs.vu.nl
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American

hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de (Horst Laumer) (12/19/90)

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:

>tr@SAMADAMS.PRINCETON.EDU (Tom Reingold) writes:

>>Lots of people responded to this question.  Did so many people think
>>they would be the only one who knew and was willing to post?
>>I suggest that you look at entire thread before posting to prevent
>>redundancy.

>[...]

>The moral of this story:
>That's why replying is so often much better than following-up.
>It only floods one mailbox, not the whole network.

I second that, although I'm an 'f'-guy, too (because international
mail makes extra cost to me and a lot of other guys on the net).
My personal belief is, that opinions should be mailed, but infor-
mation should be spread (or ain't that one of the purposes of nets?).

--HL

Horst Laumer, Kantstrasse 107, D-1000 Berlin 12 ! Bang-Adress: Junk-Food
INET: hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de                ! for Autorouters -- me --
UUCP: ..unido!fub!geminix!sunrise.in-berlin.de!hotte