[comp.unix.questions] Message name

gpinzone@GEORGE.BERKELEY.EDU (A1 gerard pinzone (ee)) (12/21/90)

Thanks to the people that replied to me about my mail name. It's in the
/etc/passwd section. However, how di I change my entry from
(A1) gerard pinzone ee       to       Gerard Pinzone  ?

==========Gerard Pinzone======================gpinzone@george.poly.edu=========
    _______  ________   ________     Just on the border of your waking mind
   /   ___/ /  _____/  /  __   /     There lies another time
  /   ___/ /  /____   /  __   /      Where darkness and light are one
 /______/ /_______/  /__/ /__/       And as you tread the halls of sanity
        East Coast Anime             You feel so glad to be unable to go beyond
ELO: "Prologue"  -=-  Daicon IV      I have a message from another time...

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (12/21/90)

In article <9012210201.AA01968@george> gpinzone@george.poly.edu writes:
>Thanks to the people that replied to me about my mail name. It's in the
>/etc/passwd section. However, how di I change my entry from
>(A1) gerard pinzone ee       to       Gerard Pinzone  ?

Couple of ways. If you want it to appear "everywhere" as "Gerard Pinzone"
then you have to use chfn (or ypchfn if you have that and it works). If for
some reason it doesn't work, then you can SETENV user "Gerard Pinzone" and
rn and mail will know you like that. But, this isn't global, and other
things will use your GECOS field info directly.

			-Kartik

--
internet# ls -alR | grep *.c
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet