[comp.unix.questions] cu & uucp timeout

ian@dms.cdc.com (Ian Hogg) (12/20/90)

I'm setting up a modem to a customer site to do things like cu and uucp.  No problem setting up this stuff before.  However, this customer is in Canada and
it is taking quite awhile to set up the connection.  Anyways, I've found out that cu & uucico have built time time out values of 40 seconds.  That is they assume "no answer" if the other end doesn't answer in 40 seconds.

My configuration is an HP370, Trailblazer T2500 modem, and HP uses HDB uucp.

Is there any way to work around this or freely available replacements for cu and uucico.  HP told me that's the way it is and I can buy the source code if I want to change it.

Ian Hogg                                    email:  ian@dms.cdc.com
Empros/Control Data Corporation             phone:  (612)-553-4484
2300 Berkshire Lane N
Plymouth, MN 55441

brian@motcsd.csd.mot.com (Brian Smithson) (12/22/90)

ian@dms.cdc.com (Ian Hogg) writes:

>... I've found out that cu & uucico have built time time out values of
>40 seconds.  That is they assume "no answer" if the other end doesn't
>answer in 40 seconds.

>My configuration is an HP370, Trailblazer T2500 modem, and HP uses HDB uucp.

>Is there any way to work around this or freely available replacements for
>cu and uucico.  HP told me that's the way it is and I can buy the source
>code if I want to change it.

Shame on HP :-)

You can work around it by adding some delay in your dialer script before
you expect the CONNECT message.  For example:

telebit	=,-,	"" \pATZ\r\c OK\r ATDTW\T\r\c "" \d\d\d\d\d\c CONNECT

The sequence is as follows:

Send ATZ
Expect OK
Send ATDT... (dial)
Expect nothing
Wait for ~10 seconds
Expect CONNECT (this is where the dreaded uucico/cu timeout occurs)

Adjust the wait period to suit your particular needs.

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

In article <2433@motcsd.csd.mot.com> brian@motcsd.csd.mot.com (Brian Smithson) writes:

>>... I've found out that cu & uucico have built time time out values of
>>40 seconds.  That is they assume "no answer" if the other end doesn't
>>answer in 40 seconds.

>You can work around it by adding some delay in your dialer script before
>you expect the CONNECT message.  For example:
>telebit	=,-,	"" \pATZ\r\c OK\r ATDTW\T\r\c "" \d\d\d\d\d\c CONNECT

Even better, use the -alternate- syntax with a null "send" to add a second
attempt by changing the CONNECT to CONNECT-\c-CONNECT.  This has the
advantage of seeing the CONNECT immediately if it happens instead of always
forcing a fixed delay.  It may also be necessary to tweak an S-register
in the modem to increase the time it will wait as well.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us