[comp.unix.questions] read/write tar/cpio tapes under dos

nikhil@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Nikhil Parekh) (12/24/90)

Does anyone know of a way to read and write unix tar or cpio
format tapes (1/4" QIC-02) on a machine running dos (just
dos not dos under unix)?

Thanks.

Nikhil M. Parekh
nikhil@dtrc.dtnet.navy.mil
Nikhil M. Parekh
nikhil@dtrc.dtnet.navy.mil

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (12/26/90)

The MKS Toolkit includes a TAR command which can be used to read unix
tar files. The command will only read from /dev/mt0 so to use the
command, create a /dev directory and mv your tar file to /dev/mt0.
Kludgy, but it works.

I haven't figured out how to use this command to write a tar file
yet.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.uucp

nikhil@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Nikhil Parekh) in <5091@oasys.dt.navy.mil> writes:

	Does anyone know of a way to read and write unix tar or cpio
	format tapes (1/4" QIC-02) on a machine running dos (just
	dos not dos under unix)?

Though I haven't tried this personally (no "DOS" machines here :-), there
is/was a "pax2exe" posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc earlier this year; most
likely it is archived at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (IP 26.2.0.74).  "Pax" is
the POSIX "US Tar" replacement for cpio and tar and is upward compatible
with both; on a UNIX system "tar" and "cpio" can be linked to "pax" and
the program will do the right thing based on the name by which it was invoked.

Since I'm a packrat and collect references to things that "may" someday
be useful, I actually found the header of the original "pax2exe" posting;
hope the attached helps!  It's no longer online here so don't ask me to
send you a copy.  I "believe" the "2" in "pax2exe" means version 2, but
the sources for version 1.2 can be found on uunet.uu.net; I don't know where
the sources for version 2 (if such it is) are located.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Checksum: 3875796521  (Verify with "brik -cv")
Posting-number: Volume 07, Issue 223
Submitted-by: walters@1.ce.okstate.edu
Archive-name: pax2exe/part01

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (12/28/90)

In article <19397@netcom.UUCP> feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) writes:
>The MKS Toolkit includes a TAR command which can be used to read unix
>tar files. The command will only read from /dev/mt0 so to use the
>command, create a /dev directory and mv your tar file to /dev/mt0.
>Kludgy, but it works.

You should be able use the command:  tar xf file.tar

>I haven't figured out how to use this command to write a tar file yet.

Try: tar cf file.tar file1 file2 file3 ...

or:  tar cf file.tar dir1 dir2 dir3 ...
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy