[comp.unix.questions] rn -x 'Is it legal'

shans@steel.UUCP (Shans Basiti) (12/25/90)

I have been trying to read some old news that I had already read,
so I started the 'rn' as follows:

        rn -x    or    rn -x <newsgroup>

However I'm getting the following error message:

  Ignoring unrecognized switch: -x

The 'rn' manual and also the 'Using uucp & usenet' book both
suggests that this switch is used to read all of the articles in the
newsgroups even if they have been marked as 'read'. Short of manually
going thru old news articles via 'grep' or whatever methode I have no
way of accessing my old news. Could someone let me what I'm doing wrong,
or am I miss reading the manuals.

System: At&t 6386E WGS, rn ver. 4.3.1.4 patch level 40, SCO Unix 3.2v2.0

Thanks & merry Christmas,
--- Shans
Shans S. Basiti                    |   If I knew eveything,
Chaparral Steel Company            |   I wouldn't be here.
UUCP: ...!uunet!steel!shans        |

pfritsch@skid.ps.uci.edu (Paul Fritschle) (12/25/90)

In <14@steel.UUCP> shans@steel.UUCP (Shans Basiti) writes:

>I have been trying to read some old news that I had already read,
>so I started the 'rn' as follows:

>        rn -x    or    rn -x <newsgroup>

>However I'm getting the following error message:

>  Ignoring unrecognized switch: -x

>The 'rn' manual and also the 'Using uucp & usenet' book both
>suggests that this switch is used to read all of the articles in the
>newsgroups even if they have been marked as 'read'. Short of manually
>going thru old news articles via 'grep' or whatever methode I have no
>way of accessing my old news. Could someone let me what I'm doing wrong,
>or am I miss reading the manuals.

Hmm... that switch is valid for 'nn', but I've never seen it used for
rn. I think maybe you misread.
As far as other ways to access old news with rn... good luck! It is
really a pain to do that.

--
-----
Paul Fritschle                                         pfritsch@skid.PS.UCI.EDU

jprice@jove.cs.pdx.edu (James Price) (12/28/90)

     When I need to reread old news, I usually edit the .newsrc file.
If you change the numbers of the newsgroups back to 0 or 1, you can
change rn's record of what you have read. Hope that helps...

James

Internet  jprice@jove.cs.pdx.edu    "Justice is incedental to law and order."
ICBM: 45 31 25 N 122 40 30 W                          - J. Edgar Hoover
Unity not uniformity                "Reading musses up my mind." - Henry Ford