[comp.unix.questions] Help with Uniplex under SCO Unix 3.2.2

dmw@prism1.UUCP (David Wright) (12/27/90)

	I have been having real problems getting Unixplex to work with
terminals and printers not coming with the package. And even some of the ones
that did come with it didn't work right, for instance the wyse 60 definition.
If anyone has a working terminfo & Tcap file for the wyse 60, IBM 3164, wyse
300 (not 350), or wyse 50, I would love to get it. The terminfo file I
normally use, and that works fine with everything else, including WordPerfect,
won't work at all, and I am presently using a modified version of their wyse60
entry.

	I have also had problems getting their printer (Pcap, Fcap, and Gcap)
files to work with most printers. I have many printers that emulate the epson
series, and work with everything else (including WordPerfect doing bit-mapped
graphics), but they won't work correctly under Uniplex.

	And lastly, does anyone know why Uniplex treats a "Q" from the main
menu differently than a F-4 (quit) and an ESC-Q? The last two correctly use the
terminal de-init string in the Tcap file, but "Q" does not, leaving the
terminal in a bad state.

					Dave

bgodeki@PacBell.COM (Bud Odekirk) (12/29/90)

> 	I have been having real problems getting Unixplex to work with
> terminals and printers not coming with the package.
>
> 	I have also had problems getting their printer (Pcap, Fcap, and Gcap)
> files to work with most printers.

I am not an expert on Uniplex but I did attend a one week class on
configuring Uniplex, terminals, and printers. I have created several new
entries in the Pcap and Tcap for printers and terminals that are not
currently supported by Uniplex.

The procedure is pretty involved to explain here but basically you modify
the Tcap and/or Pcap file and then recompile the Tcap file using the syscomp
command.

To start with you should have the Uniplex configuration guide, and the manuals
for the terminal or printer you want to configure.

To create a new printer configuration just edit the Pcap file, find a printer
that is similar to the one you are configuring, copy that section and give
it a fictitious namei (PNAME). Consult your printer manual to determine what
control or escape sequence constitutes underline, bold, and various other
attributes, make those changes in the Pcap file and it should work.

The procedure is about the same for terminals. Make sure you make copies of
the files before you modify them (in case you honk them up :-)   ).

\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\
  Bud Odekirk
  2600 Camino Ramon, Room 3W600E
  San Ramon, Ca. 94583
  415 823-1379
  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhya!bgodeki
/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (12/29/90)

In article <4@prism1.UUCP> dmw@prism1.UUCP (David Wright) writes:

>	I have been having real problems getting Unixplex to work with
>terminals and printers not coming with the package. And even some of the ones
>that did come with it didn't work right, for instance the wyse 60 definition.

Uniplex does all sorts of strange things to a terminfo entry before using
it itself.  The native wyse60 (Tcap) entry worked perfectly with real Wyse
60's, and Link somethings.  They did not work with Esprit 3n1's.  What sort
of problems are you having?  Garbage on the screen?  Boxes all over the place?
Loosing characters?

>	I have also had problems getting their printer (Pcap, Fcap, and Gcap)
>files to work with most printers. I have many printers that emulate the epson
>series, and work with everything else (including WordPerfect doing bit-mapped
>graphics), but they won't work correctly under Uniplex.

Again, what sort of problems are you seeing?  We had all sorts of problems
with the HP laser setup, and ended up just buying a Postscript printer. :-)

>	And lastly, does anyone know why Uniplex treats a "Q" from the main
>menu differently than a F-4 (quit) and an ESC-Q? The last two correctly use the
>terminal de-init string in the Tcap file, but "Q" does not, leaving the
>terminal in a bad state.

This is not my experience;  all of these seem to put the terminal into correct
state on leaving for me.  Which version of Uniplex are you using?

--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au