[comp.unix.questions] VT100 compatibility on a Silicon Graphics IRIS

ramon@skye.mit.edu (Ramon F Herrera) (12/13/90)

Hello, Silicon Graphics (System V) wizards out there:

How can I make the delete key work properly if I login from
a DEC (Ultrix/VMS/VT100 terminal) device into a Silicon
Graphics computer?  The DELete key doesn't work, so I have
to use ^H instead.  I have tried:

% set term = vt100 (before login)
% setenv TERM vt100 (before login)
% stty erase DEL (after login)

but they don't do the trick.  Is the terminfo file distributed
with the SG machines erroneous??  Should I just add some 'stty'
statement to my 'dot' files, or should the terminfo file be
modified??
.
.
.

After I wrote this message, I played a little bit and I found out
that the following solves my problem:

% stty erase \<DEL><RETURN>

Instead of <DEL>, I can press any key and it still works, so my
new question is: how can I include this fix in a .login or .cshrc
file??
(Also, I would like to hear some opinions from terminfo hackers!)
I tried the obvious like:

%stty erase \0177 (I TYPED it, it was not in a script!)

but it doesn't work.

thanks,

Ramon Herrera
ramon@iona.mit.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.035401.19365@athena.mit.edu> ramon@skye.mit.edu (Ramon F Herrera) writes:
>How can I make the delete key work properly if I login from
>a DEC (Ultrix/VMS/VT100 terminal) device into a Silicon
>Graphics computer?  The DELete key doesn't work, so I have
>to use ^H instead.  I have tried:
>% set term = vt100 (before login)
>% setenv TERM vt100 (before login)
>% stty erase DEL (after login)
>but they don't do the trick.  Is the terminfo file distributed
>with the SG machines erroneous??  Should I just add some 'stty'
>statement to my 'dot' files, or should the terminfo file be
>modified??

Something you (and all UNIX users) need to clearly understand is
that terminfo (or temcap) is NOT USED for "plain vanilla" applications,
usually including the shell (command-line interpreter).  Terminfo
describes characteristics of particular terminal types, for programs
that do terminal-dependent stuff like direct cursor addressing.
Note that what key you CHOOSE to mean "erase preceding character"
while typing at "plain vanilla" applications has NOTHING to do with
the characteristics of your terminal; it is a user preference option.
Thus, you need to tell the UNIX terminal handler (which is the gnome
that handles each character that you type) what your intentions are,
if the default behavior is not what you want.  That is what the "stty"
command does.  "stty erase '^?'" is the usual way to specify use of
DEL for an erase character.  I personally recommend backspace..

mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (12/28/90)

:
:How can I make the delete key work properly if I login from
:a DEC (Ultrix/VMS/VT100 terminal) device into a Silicon
:Graphics computer?  The DELete key doesn't work, so I have
:to use ^H instead.  I have tried:
:
:% set term = vt100 (before login)
:% setenv TERM vt100 (before login)
:% stty erase DEL (after login)
:
:but they don't do the trick.  Is the terminfo file distributed
:with the SG machines erroneous??  Should I just add some 'stty'
:statement to my 'dot' files, or should the terminfo file be
:modified??
:.
:.
:.
:
:After I wrote this message, I played a little bit and I found out
:that the following solves my problem:
:
:% stty erase \<DEL><RETURN>
:
:Instead of <DEL>, I can press any key and it still works, so my
:new question is: how can I include this fix in a .login or .cshrc
:file??
:(Also, I would like to hear some opinions from terminfo hackers!)
:I tried the obvious like:
:
:%stty erase \0177 (I TYPED it, it was not in a script!)
:
:but it doesn't work.
:
:thanks,
:
:Ramon Herrera
:ramon@iona.mit.edu

On our SYSVR3.2 UNIX system  the man for stty says

        Control Assignments
				  control-character c

                    set control-character to c, where control-
                    character is erase, kill, intr, quit, swtch, eof,
                    ctab, min, or time (ctab is used with -stappl;
                    (min and time are used with -icanon.  If c is
                    preceded by an (escaped from the shell) caret (^),
                    then the value used is the corresponding CTRL
                    character (e.g., ^d is a CTRL-d); ^? is
                    interpreted as DEL and ^- is interpreted as
                    undefined.

Thus,
stty erase \^?

--
Dan Mercer
NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services

dsg@mbunix.mitre.org (Goldberg) (01/02/91)

In article <802@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:

> % set term = vt100 (before login)
> % setenv TERM vt100 (before login)
> % stty erase DEL (after login)

The problem is that on the SG DEL is already stty'd to intr (don't ask
me why).  My solution for my .login file, as well as on the command
line is:

stty intr ^C erase ^?

I used ^V to quote the control characters in vi.
--
Dave Goldberg                     UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator
The Mitre Corporation   MS B020  Bedford, MA 01730        617-271-2460

In article <DSG.91Jan2081608@mbunix.mitre.org> dsg@mbunix.mitre.org (Me) writes:
> In article <802@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:

No, he didn't.  He was responding to a previous post.  Sorry I forgot
to remove the attribution line.