[comp.unix.questions] Page of memory

Richard.Banks@p0.f512.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Richard Banks) (01/02/91)

How much is a page of memory ?

--- Opus-CBCS 1.14
 * Origin: OHIONet Express: ohiont.fidonet.org 216-842-5911 (1:157/512.0)
 |  Sent via ohiont.fidonet.org, home of the OHIONet Express BBS  |
 |  Fidonet 157/512:  The Cleveland UFGATE Internet Connection!   |

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (01/03/91)

In article <701.278211E0@ohiont.fidonet.org> Richard.Banks@p0.f512.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Richard Banks) writes:
>How much is a page of memory ?

It's implementation-defined.

It's also generally not the same for both the primary and secondary
storage (RAM and disks, respectively, though for a disk it's called
a "block" rather than a "page"), and sometimes there's a third one
defined specifically as the I/O blocksize...

Sometimes it's not even constant wrt time (that's for you
hardware-simulation-accelerator fans out there :-).

On a VAX running Ultrix, it's defined in /usr/{sys,include}/vax/param.h
as NBPG, usually 512.  On Encore Multimax machines running Umax, it's 2048;
and I don't remember where to find it.

				--Blair
				  "Oh, about two cents worth..."