[comp.unix.questions] Accessing internet away from the University?

buc@jessica.stanford.edu (Robert Richards) (12/30/90)

Is there a way to determine if a modem line with internet access is
available from a particular part of the country?  When I am away from
my local modem lines accessing my computer systems can become quite
expensive.  One area of particular interest is the 707 area code
region around the Petaluma and Cotati.

Thanks for any assistance.

        Rob Richards
        Supercomputer & Workstation Support Staff
        AIR

President Franklin Roosevelt once said, ``I think we consider too much
the good luck of the early bird, and not enough the bad luck of the
early worm.''

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) (01/04/91)

In article <1990Dec30.074011.4472@portia.Stanford.EDU> buc@jessica.stanford.edu (Robert Richards) writes:

> Is there a way to determine if a modem line with internet access is
> available from a particular part of the country?  When I am away from
> my local modem lines accessing my computer systems can become quite
> expensive.  One area of particular interest is the 707 area code
> region around the Petaluma and Cotati.

In newsgroup comp.misc are periodic Nixpub postings which describe and
give phone numbers to systems around the country.  Some charge fees,
some are free.  Some have access to Email, some to USENET, some are
strictly for up/downloading software, and others for chatting on some
local topic of interest.

Hope this helps.
--
asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain)
========================= Opinions are Mine, Typos belong to /usr/ucb/vi

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/05/91)

Talk to Uunet Communications Services Inc. (+1 703 876 5050 or
info@uunet.uu.net) about their AlterNet, and to Performance Systems
International (+1 703 620 6651 or info@psi.com) about their PSInet,
and to CERFnet (+1 619 534 5087 or help@cerf.net) about their CERFnet.