[comp.unix.questions] How to change pre-login banner???

tmoore@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca (Tom Moore) (01/04/91)

How do I change the banner that is printed by 'getty'
before a users logs in?  Currently, getty prints
the following:

SunOS UNIX (node)

login:

Note that this is not the motd banner that gets printed
after a user logs in.  That one seems to be easy enough
to change.

--
Tom Moore                                       tmoore@pnfi.forestry.ca
Petawawa National Forestry Institute            uunet!attcan!ists!pi19!tmoore

felps@convex.com (Robert Felps) (01/05/91)

In <1085@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca> tmoore@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca (Tom Moore) writes:

>How do I change the banner that is printed by 'getty'
>before a users logs in?  Currently, getty prints
>the following:

>SunOS UNIX (node)

>login:

>Note that this is not the motd banner that gets printed
>after a user logs in.  That one seems to be easy enough
>to change.

Do a man on gettytab.

$ man 5 gettytab

You need to edit /etc/gettytab and change the im= field on the appropriate
definition. The %h can be used to set the node.

casper@fwi.uva.nl (Casper H.S. Dik) (01/05/91)

tmoore@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca (Tom Moore) writes:

>How do I change the banner that is printed by 'getty'
>before a users logs in?  Currently, getty prints
>the following:

The banner getty prints on `hard' ttys (as opposed to
pseudo ttys) is defined in /etc/gettytab.
Checkout the :im=..: capability for the ``default''
entry.

>SunOS UNIX (node)
>
>login:

This particular header is probably not from getty,
but from telnetd. If you want to change it, get
the sources from telnetd, insert your favorite message,
and install.

Telnetd sources are available from e.g. uunet.

Casper
--
NOTE: Some machine instructions			|	Casper H.S. Dik
      must be executed on the CPU.		|	casper@fwi.uva.nl

ertle@newton.uvm.edu (Jim Ertle) (01/05/91)

In <1085@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca> tmoore@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca (Tom Moore) writes:

>How do I change the banner that is printed by 'getty'
>before a users logs in?  Currently, getty prints
>the following:

>SunOS UNIX (node)

>login:

>Note that this is not the motd banner that gets printed
>after a user logs in.  That one seems to be easy enough
>to change.

I think that what Tom wants is the default line in /etc/gettytab.
This contains thi info that all ttys print out for a login.  You can
change this for all of them by changing default, or you can change it
for specific types of logins.

					Jim Ertle

adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) (01/05/91)

In article <felps.663005504@convex.convex.com> felps@convex.com (Robert Felps) writes:
>Do a man on gettytab.
>
>$ man 5 gettytab
>
>You need to edit /etc/gettytab and change the im= field on the appropriate
>definition. The %h can be used to set the node.

The file you want may also called /etc/gettydefs (in System V).  Find the
line in /etc/inittab for the port.  It will say (in part) "/etc/getty ttyxx
label" (where label might be "9600").  Find the corresponding clause in
gettydefs and change it.

Under IBM AIX (which of course stands for "AIX Isn't uniX" :-), the relevant
file is /etc/ports.

Just thought others might be interested.  This is one of those lovely areas of
nonstandardarity between the *ix'es.  Somebody fixed one machine at our shop
so it goes "Oooh, I love it when you login:".  (BTW, note that regardless of
the system, breaking the file will most likely break the system).
--
Anthony DeBoer - NAUI #Z8800                           adeboer@gjetor.geac.com
Programmer, GEAC J&E Systems Ltd.             uunet!jtsv16!geac!gjetor!adeboer

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/05/91)

In article <1085@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca> tmoore@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca (Tom Moore) writes:
   How do I change the banner that is printed by 'getty' before a
   users logs in?

Read about the "im" capability in gettytab(5).

in <1991Jan4.215853.27881@gjetor.geac.COM> writes:

	The file you want may also called /etc/gettydefs (in System V).  Find
	the line in /etc/inittab for the port.  It will say (in part)
	"/etc/getty ttyxx label" (where label might be "9600").  Find the
	corresponding clause in gettydefs and change it.

	Under IBM AIX (which of course stands for "AIX Isn't uniX" :-), the
	relevant file is /etc/ports.

	Just thought others might be interested.  This is one of those lovely
	areas of nonstandardarity between the *ix'es.

Also, for general interest, /bin/login "may" display /etc/issue as the system's
banner herald.  I've seen this on 3B1/UNIXPC/PC7300, A/UX, and CTIX systems.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

>>SunOS UNIX (node)
>>
>>login:
>
>This particular header is probably not from getty,
>but from telnetd.

It's almost certainly from "telnetd"; for whatever reason, SunOS's
"/etc/gettytab" still has a 4.1cBSD-ish login prompt, rather than a
4.2andupBSDish login prompt.

>If you want to change it, get the sources from telnetd, insert your
>favorite message, and install.
>
>Telnetd sources are available from e.g. uunet.

And Dave Borman's latest "telnetd" seems to use the "im" capability for
the "default" entry in "/etc/gettytab" for the prompt it prints, so if
that's the version you get, you can install your favorite message in
"/etc/gettytab", rather than in the "telnetd" code.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/07/91)

In article <felps.663005504@convex.convex.com> felps@convex.com (Robert Felps) writes:

>In <1085@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca> tmoore@pi19.pnfi.forestry.ca (Tom Moore) writes:

>>How do I change the banner that is printed by 'getty'
>>before a users logs in?  Currently, getty prints
>>the following:

>>SunOS UNIX (node)

>>login:

>Do a man on gettytab.

>$ man 5 gettytab

>You need to edit /etc/gettytab and change the im= field on the appropriate
>definition. The %h can be used to set the node.

Is there any way to change the login banner for telnet sessions, as
opposed to getty sessions? Come to think of it, is there any way to
make telnetd run getty instead of login?

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se