[comp.unix.questions] Getting 4.2BSD to Understand Subnetted Network

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (01/05/91)

I'm adding 4 VAX 11/750's with *binary-only* 4.2BSD licenses
(previously running on an XNS network) to a TCP/IP
network.  The network is a Class B network, with a 255.255.255.0
netmask.  4.2BSD seems not to understand subnetting, so the
first such machine on the net sees only itself and a few
others (386's with an older TCP/IP) which also don't understand
subnetting.

What can be done with 4.2BSD to make things work?

PLEASE NOTE:  As indicated above, we do not have source for
4.2BSD.  (Long story, not appropriate here.)

Thank you.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/06/91)

In article <1873@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
   What can be done with 4.2BSD to make [subnets] work?

Euthanasia? :-)

Proxy ARP can fool old IP implementations into dealing with modern
networks.  Get tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/proxyarp/proxyarpd.shar.Z
and run it on something nearby that already knows about subnetting.

root@bvsatl.UUCP (Super user) (01/08/91)

In article <1873@fallst.UUCP>, tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> 4.2BSD seems not to understand subnetting, so the
> first such machine on the net sees only itself and a few
> others (386's with an older TCP/IP) which also don't understand
> subnetting.
>
> What can be done with 4.2BSD to make things work?
>
> PLEASE NOTE:  As indicated above, we do not have source for
> 4.2BSD.  (Long story, not appropriate here.)

Assuming that you are using a decent router to connect your subnets,
it should be able to proxy arp for the hosts on a different subnet
than the B42 hosts. In other words, configure your router to
reply with its ethernet address whenever it sees an arp request
on a subnetwork that it does not belong on. This way, the older
hosts will think that the whole network lives on the one ethernet
cable and the routers will take care of the rest.

Obviously a better solution is to upgrade the hosts, but we all
know how that goes (8-)).

Bill VerSteeg

--
Bill VerSteeg
internet	bvs@nrc.com

In article <183@bvsatl.UUCP> root@bvsatl.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>In article <1873@fallst.UUCP>, tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>> 4.2BSD seems not to understand subnetting, so the
>> first such machine on the net sees only itself and a few
>> others (386's with an older TCP/IP) which also don't understand
>> subnetting.
>>
>Assuming that you are using a decent router to connect your subnets,
>it should be able to proxy arp for the hosts on a different subnet

 The original complaint is not completely clear.  If there is a problem
with any TCP communications, then proxy arp should handle it.  But the
complaint may have been the inability to see 'rwhod' messages, etc.  In this
case there is not much you can do about it.  The problem then is not the
subnet mask, but the broadcast address.  Since the 4.3 broadcast address
specifies all '1' bits for the host section, whereas 4.2 broadcasts use
all '0' bits.  So solving the subnet problem is not a complete answer.

 If broadcasts are real important, you can probably configure the 4.3
hosts to use the 4.2 broadcasts and subnetting.  But that will prevent them
seeing 4.3 broadcasts (such as routing packets), so the cure may be worse
than the disease.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940