[comp.unix.questions] 4. What's in a name?

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (01/10/91)

In article <25443@adm.brl.mil>, drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu writes:
> I don't believe that "rcc" is actually a Microsoft
> invention but rather is the name of the 3rd generation compiler based
> on the original portable C compiler, pcc.  I even seem to recall that
> there was some discussion of an "scc", which I assume would be the 4th
> generation of the same compiler family.
>
> True?  False?  Blantantly stupid?

As I recall, these were internal names at AT&T if not published ones.

	pcc = Portable C Compiler
	qcc = Quick(er?) C Compiler (faster than pcc)
	rcc = Registerizing C Compiler (assign vars to registers automatically)
	scc = Standard(?) C Compiler (ANSI standard conforming)

Of course, they're stuck now since tcc is Turbo C.  (Or is this a sign
that AT&T is going to give up on acquiring NCR and set their sights on
the west coast instead? ;-)
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
At times like these, all Mom can think of is how long she was in
labor with me. -- Calvin