[comp.unix.questions] How can one avoid sending mail after an `at' ?

sap@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Jacques Sap) (01/10/91)

The man pages say:

>     Standard output and standard error output are mailed to  the
>     user  unless  they  are  redirected  elsewhere.

So I tried "at now +......    >& /dev/null"

But I still receive mail after completion, how to avoid it ?
--
Jacques SAP     Alcatel Alsthom Recherche
		Route de Nozay, 91460 MARCOUSSIS, FRANCE

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan10.085555.3150@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr>, sap@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Jacques Sap) writes:
> The man pages say:
>
> >     Standard output and standard error output are mailed to  the
> >     user  unless  they  are  redirected  elsewhere.
>
> So I tried "at now +......    >& /dev/null"
>
> But I still receive mail after completion, how to avoid it ?
> --
> Jacques SAP     Alcatel Alsthom Recherche
> 		Route de Nozay, 91460 MARCOUSSIS, FRANCE
>                 Tel. 64.49.11.47, sap@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr

Try redirecting BOTH output and error using

		...  2>&1 > /dev/null

--
AT&T 		|	 This space		| (708)-859-4485
Phil Gunsul	|	intentionally		| prg@mgweed.ATT.COM

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (01/11/91)

In <7775@mgweed.UUCP> prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) writes:

>In article <1991Jan10.085555.3150@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr>, sap@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Jacques Sap) writes:
>> The man pages say:
>>
>> >     Standard output and standard error output are mailed to  the
>> >     user  unless  they  are  redirected  elsewhere.
>>
>> So I tried "at now +......    >& /dev/null"
>>
>> But I still receive mail after completion, how to avoid it ?
>> --

>Try redirecting BOTH output and error using

>		...  2>&1 > /dev/null

I think what we have here is the difference between csh/tcsh (in the first
case) and sh/ksh (in the second case).  This response probably does not
address the problem.

Both solutions here only redirect the output of the *at command itself*
not the commands that at will run.  The better solution might be....

% at now +....
at> command1 plus args >& /dev/null
at> command2 and more args >& /dev/null
at> ^D
(some messages from at)
%

Now this prompts the question of how to redirect output for the command(s)
that at will run...

I *think* that at uses the login shell for the given user as defined in
passwd.  Any comments on the accuracy of this statement?

Robert

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.085555.3150@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr> sap@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr () writes:

>So I tried "at now +......    >& /dev/null"
>
>But I still receive mail after completion, how to avoid it ?

on SYSV try:

at now .... >/dev/null 2>&1

this also redirects error messages.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

leo@atcmp.nl (@ Leo Willems) (01/14/91)

at is connected to /bin/mail by a pipe.
If /bin/mail is not recieving any input at all it won't send mail.
So redirect all your commands in the at job to anything but standard output
and standard error
--
 Leo Willems			Internet: leo@atcmp.nl
 AT Computing			UUCP:     mcsun!hp4nl!kunivv1!atcmpe!leo