[comp.unix.questions] Not the usual modem question...

robiner@oberon.usc.edu (01/15/91)

Could some kind soul out there tell me how to have our Harris
HCX-9 running 4.3BSD to call out on our modem line AND
THEN RUN GETTY ON THAT PORT?

The problem is, if I set up inittab to have a getty running on that
port, then the dialout commands sent to the modem are echo'd
back to login and not seen by the modem (its a hayes compatable).

When the getty is off, I can get the modem to dial out fine, but
then there's no way to 'switch on' or run a getty on that port
without hanging up the modem.

Any ideas?

=steve=

robiner@oberon.usc.edu

robiner@oberon.usc.edu (01/15/91)

Could some kind soul out there explain to me how I can get
out Harris HCX-9 running 4.3 BSD to call my modem at home
and give me a login prompt?

I can get the modem to dial out from the mainframe, but
if I set up inittab to run a getty on that port, the modem
won't recieve the dial-out instructions - they are blocked
by 'login'.

Ideally, what I think would work is to dial the modem, THEN
run getty on the port.  The only problem is, when I do that,
the modem hangs up.  I think this is because the ports default
to 9600 baud, and when I set the speed to 1200 to send the
dial out commands, then exit, it defaults back to 9600, and
then even if getty is run then and switches back to 1200, enough
garbage comes down the line to hang the modem.

Is there a way to run getty, but somehow block it or suspend it
without blocking the read/write capability to the port, so
I can send the modem dial-out commands.  Or some other way to
do what I want, without all this hassle?

Thanks in advacnce.

Please reply to me directly as I don't normally read these groups.

=Steve=

Robiner@oberon.usc.edu

vera@fanaraaken.Stanford.EDU (James S. Vera) (01/15/91)

robiner@oberon.usc.edu writes:

>Could some kind soul out there tell me how to have our Harris
>HCX-9 running 4.3BSD to call out on our modem line AND
>THEN RUN GETTY ON THAT PORT?

>The problem is, if I set up inittab to have a getty running on that
>port, then the dialout commands sent to the modem are echo'd
>back to login and not seen by the modem (its a hayes compatable).

>When the getty is off, I can get the modem to dial out fine, but
>then there's no way to 'switch on' or run a getty on that port
>without hanging up the modem.

Well, you could do what I did, which was quite a kludge.  I grabbed a
copy of the tip source from gatekeeper and made a minor hack to it so
that when it figures out it has connected to the other side it execs
getty.  Seems to work. [This is on a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix
3.0]

I use this to to give me a call out modem which presents a shell to
the other end.

James S. Vera      |         Internet	        |Standard Disclaimers
Stanford University|vera@fanaraaken.stanford.edu|Blah Blah Blah Blah
Bellcore           |vera2@rigel.cc.bellcore.com |