[comp.unix.questions] how to send multiple files trough mail

jonas@lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) (01/17/91)

Hi,

I'm interested in getting info (and source code) on how to manipulate
different files and to send them trough mail.
What tools are available out there.
There seems to be a minimum size for a file to be sent trough mail.
Is there an automatic way to split them and uuencode/uudecode them.
Any suggestios are welcome.

Thanx Jonas

--

  /jonas@lkbpyr.lkb.se/

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/22/91)

jonas@lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) writes:

>I'm interested in getting info (and source code) on how to manipulate
>different files and to send them trough mail.
>What tools are available out there.
>There seems to be a minimum size for a file to be sent trough mail.
>Is there an automatic way to split them and uuencode/uudecode them.

	Well, the public domain implementations would consist of a
"bundler" (like tar or 'shar', the shell archiver) plus a tool to turn the
contents into ascii (like btoa or uuencode). Don't know if anyone has
integrated these into a single tool.

	Another approach might be to use the ASD (Automated Software
Distribution) tools available by license from the AT&T System Toolchest.
ASD consists of five tools: mkpkg and inspkg (make and install package),
seal and unseal (to convert to and from ascii, plus add integrity checks)
and asdrcv (an auto-install mechanism). I licensed this a few years back
for the IRS (about $275).

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech