[comp.unix.questions] 'dump'ing NFS mounted partitions?

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (01/23/91)

We just added a Fujitsu 3480 tape drive to backup our Sun systems here.
Yesterday, we finally received the modified dump/restore from Sun to work with
the 3480 tapes.  It works great, except for one fact.  It didn't come with
rdump/rrestore, which is highly needed since many machines need to be backed
up onto the one machine using the 3480.  This is what Sun had to say about it
in their documentation:

"Dumping to a remote host does not work at this point.  Mount the filesystem
using NFS and then dump it."

Sounds simple enough, so I go into the exports files on the machines that
need to be dumped and give 'root' NFS file access to the machine with the
tape drive.  I mount a partition on the machine with the tape drive and try
to dump it with a command similar to this

	dump 0[options]f [options] /dev/rst8 remotemachine:/partition

It gives me the error: Cannot open remotemachine:/partition

So I try:

	dump 0[options]f [options] /dev/rst8 /mnt

and I get Cannot find block device 130,0

How else am I supposed to do this?  I've called Sun technical support and a
day later, I still have yet to hear back from them.  Is it even possible to
do a dump of an NFS mounted partition or is (the) Sun up in the night (heh)?

--

                "I'm going under the table."  - Bernard Shaw

Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

dd@mips.com (64. Do you hold on to things for which you have no real use?) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.153009.3872@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>We just added a Fujitsu 3480 tape drive to backup our Sun systems here.
>Yesterday, we finally received the modified dump/restore from Sun to work with
>the 3480 tapes.  It works great, except for one fact.  It didn't come with
>rdump/rrestore, which is highly needed since many machines need to be backed
>up onto the one machine using the 3480.

You wouldn't need a special rdump, since it's just a link to dump.  If
anything you would need a replacement /etc/rmt on the machine with the
tape drive.

>This is what Sun had to say about it in their documentation:
>
>"Dumping to a remote host does not work at this point.  Mount the filesystem
>using NFS and then dump it."

This is completely bogus.  Dump reads the raw disk partition, so it can't
work over NFS.

--
David DiGiacomo, MIPS Computer Systems, Sunnyvale, CA  dd@mips.com

nieusma@cs.colorado.edu (Jeff Nieusma) (01/25/91)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

|> "Dumping to a remote host does not work at this point.  Mount the
|> filesystem
|> using NFS and then dump it."
|>
|> [ stuff deleted ]
|>
|> How else am I supposed to do this?  I've called Sun technical support
|> and a
|> day later, I still have yet to hear back from them.  Is it even
|> possible to
|> do a dump of an NFS mounted partition or is (the) Sun up in the night
|> (heh)?

so what's wrong with doing something like this?

tapehost# rsh machine dump 0[opts]f - | dd of=/dev/tape

You might have to play with the options of dd a bit to make it work,
but at least it's free and you don't have to deal with the complete
morons who told you to dump an NFS mounted filesystem.

| Jeff Nieusma                         Logical:  nieusma@cs.colorado.edu      |
| System Administrator/Programmer      Audible:  (303) 492-0677               |
| Computer Science Department         Physical:  Campus Box 430               |
| University of Colorado                         Boulder, CO  80309-0430      |
|                  I only work so I can afford to ski                         |

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (01/25/91)

nieusma@cs.colorado.edu (Jeff Nieusma) writes:

>In article <1991Jan23.153009.3872@javelin.es.com>,
>pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>|>
>|> "Dumping to a remote host does not work at this point.  Mount the
>|> filesystem
>|> using NFS and then dump it."
>|>

>so what's wrong with doing something like this?
>tapehost# rsh machine dump 0[opts]f - | dd of=/dev/tape

I've received at least four answers like this.  The problem is this:  The 3480
tape drive has a cartridge loader.  It isn't much better than a nine-track if
you can't use the cartridge loader.  Sun sent us a new dump/restore that loads
the cartridges rather nicely.  HOWEVER, they didn't bother to spend an extra
hour to make it work with remote hosts.  Therefore, it is virtually useless to
us.  Their solution was to dump NFS mounted partitions, something which is
WRONG and also something I don't want to do anyway.  What we are trying to do
now is get dump/restore source so we can write our own version that uses the
cartridge loader and will work remotely.  'dd' is not a solution to the
problem, because it can't load the cartridges.