[comp.unix.questions] RS/6000, AIX problems

havaki@esperia.iesl.forth.gr (Popi Havaki) (01/29/91)

Hello,

I am a new user of a RS600/320 machine running AIX OS. I have some problems
running fortran programms in the background successively.After about the
tenth running i get the message :
1501-222 Cannot fork processes,Resources temporarily unavailable ..

Does anyone know anything about that ?? Is this a problem of AIX or
i have limits using system resources ?? How can I solve this problem??
Any ideas??
                             Thanks, Popi havaki

mike (Michael Stefanik) (01/31/91)

In an article, esperia.iesl.forth.gr!havaki (Popi Havaki) writes:
>I am a new user of a RS600/320 machine running AIX OS. I have some problems
>running fortran programms in the background successively.After about the
>tenth running i get the message :
>1501-222 Cannot fork processes,Resources temporarily unavailable ..

There is a configurable limit to the maximum number of processes per user;
this value may be too low for your usage.   Login as root and try the
following command:

	# chdev -l sys0 -a maxuproc=100

This will change the maximum number of processes per user to 100; however,
you might want to make sure that your programs aren't "running away" from
you and recursivley creating instances of themselves, or forking processes
that don't croak.

NOTE: Unlike many other flavors of UNIX, you don't have to perform the crude
      rain-dance of rebooting the machine.
--
Michael Stefanik                       | Opinions stated are not even my own.
Systems Engineer, Briareus Corporation | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike