[comp.unix.questions] does there exist pd uuencode/uudecode for sysV?

ronald@robobar.co.uk (ronald) (01/31/91)

woodward@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Jeff Woodward) writes:

> ( since they offer the only game  * I *  know in town for
> transferring tar'red & compressed files to/from remote systems
> to which i don't have a link )

If you look in the compress 4.0 distribution, you will find the
programs atob and btoa which are analogous to uu{en,de}code,
but are much better because they expand the resulting file by less
*and* have a checksum at the end to ensure that it all got there
and you didn't accidentally delete a line or two when you concatenated
parts together :-)

I use them to mail compressed files all the time.

The sources to uu{en,de}code as well as the compress 4.0 distribution
should be on uunet.uu.net.  I think compress 4.0 is somewhere under
comp.sources.unix and uu{en,de} code is in the uucp sub-directory
somewhere under bsd-sources.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)