[comp.unix.questions] WordStar-like editor on Unix

852028e@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Amari M. Elammari) (02/07/91)

Does any body know about a WordStar-like editor that runs on
Unix??
Thank you in advance
Amari

--
Amari Elammari
Acadia University P.O.BOX 1236 Wolfville, N.S. Canada BOP 1X0

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (02/07/91)

852028e@aucs.UUCP (Amari  M.  Elammari) writes:
>Does any body know about a WordStar-like editor that runs on
>Unix??

There is a macro for "Emacs" that changes the key bindings into
Wordstar. If you want it I'll send it to you (I use vi so I haven't
tested it).

>Amari Elammari

-- budi

ralfi@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) (02/09/91)

852028e@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Amari  M.  Elammari) writes:

>Does any body know about a WordStar-like editor that runs on
>Unix??
>Thank you in advance
>Amari

There is one, called quick star, and it is made by

	BSP Softwaredistribution GmbH.
	Postfach 110324
	D-W-8400 Regensburg
	Germany

It's a very nice editor, many of our programmers use it since some years.
We have it installed on our XENIX systems.

If you want to e-mail, try

	info@bspgmbh.de

	or maybe better root@bspgmbh.de

I'm not shure about there E-Mail...

Rgds
Ralf.

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (02/10/91)

>852028e@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Amari  M.  Elammari) writes:

>>Does any body know about a WordStar-like editor that runs on
>>Unix??
>>Thank you in advance
>>Amari

As far as I know, there is a WordStar-command emulation in Emacs. (GNU)

	At least that's what I hope, Gerhard...
--

+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (02/11/91)

In article <4593@uniol.UUCP> Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) writes:
>>852028e@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Amari  M.  Elammari) writes:
>>>Does any body know about a WordStar-like editor that runs on Unix??
>As far as I know, there is a WordStar-command emulation in Emacs. (GNU)

Well, yes, there is, but it's a pretty poor emulation. There are differences
in approach, most notably in block operations, that make the two incompatible
at the lowest levels of usability.

There was an editor hiding in a post to comp.binaries.ibm.pc that included
Unix source; contact doug@giaea.oz.au for details. It's an evolving program.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.