[comp.unix.questions] Question about terminal input buffering

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (02/10/91)

Why, when doing something like "cat > file" and typing input from the
keyboard, are long lines truncated?  On my System V box, it appears
as though the first 256 characters of a long input line are discarded
when I look at "file".
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.225929.4447@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>Why, when doing something like "cat > file" and typing input from the
>keyboard, are long lines truncated?  On my System V box, it appears
>as though the first 256 characters of a long input line are discarded
>when I look at "file".

The behavior when more than a certain amount of canonical tty input is
buffered up without a new-line is documented in your UNIX Programmer's
Reference Manual or Adminstrator's Reference Manual.  The behavior
varies across different UNIX implementations.  One typical one is to
just beep and discard everything typed to that point.

 >The behavior when more than a certain amount of canonical tty input is
 >buffered up without a new-line is documented in your UNIX Programmer's
 >Reference Manual or Adminstrator's Reference Manual.  The behavior
 >varies across different UNIX implementations.  One typical one is to
 >just beep and discard everything typed to that point.

I've never seen that one.  I have seen the "traditional" UNIX behavior
of silently discarding everything typed to that point, and the "modern"
UNIX behavior (lifted from various DEC operating systems by Berkeley; it
appears in S5R4 as well) of beeping and discarding the character typed
but leaving the rest of the data in the line intact.