[comp.unix.questions] Troff question

leff%smu.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET (Laurence Leff) (11/08/87)

The Follwing when run through nroff, produces the attached output.
Why do I have an extra blank line between the two Testings?

.de NH
.if n \{
.br
testing
.br
\}
..
.NH
.ti +5
Testing 2

_________________________________OUTPUT_________________________________
testing

     Testing 2

In article <10221@brl-adm.ARPA> leff%smu.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET (Laurence Leff) writes:
>The Follwing when run through nroff, produces the attached output.
>Why do I have an extra blank line between the two Testings?

Because you put it there.  Change your example to

	.de NH
	.if n \{.br
	testing
	.br\}
	..
	.NH
	.ti +5
	Testing 2

to avoid the blank line.

lapoint@BRL.ARPA (11/09/87)

suffix backslash to the if line
and
prefix . to the block if terminator line.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (04/20/88)

I have prepared a program guide for the new Star Trek: The Next Generation
series.  I use the NewCenturySchlbk font that is available on the Apple
LaserWriter Plus printer.  As a result, the .fp macro is called by the
preprocessor.  Unfortunately, some users of the guide cannot print using
that font.  I have created a STAR TREK like logo that is positioned
absolutely on the paper.  Users of the default Times-Roman font do not
get a lined up character set.

I would like to know if troff can be asked what the current fonts are
loaded.  I don't care what they are, except that I will use different
positioning for Times-Roman (default, or other than what I used) and for
the font that I use (called N, NI, NB).

If someone knows a trick for finding this out, I would appreciate a piece
of e-mail from comp.unix.questions readers, as I don't normally read that
group.

Your help will make quite a few rec.arts.startrek guide printing people
happy.
--
	       harvard-\	       ihnp4--\
Mr. Video               !uwvax.................!nicmad!brown

tab@auc.UUCP (Terrence Brannon ) (04/03/89)

I am using pic with a file and when I try to change to constant width
font, tabs are put between each word. There are no ".fi" or ".ad" requests
in the file.

I would like to remove these tabs between each word if possible.

...!gatech!auc!tab

mrc@sceard.Sceard.COM (M.R.Campbell) (09/27/89)

I am looking for a troff macro definition which says from this
point on the line draw a horizontal line to the right margin.

The idea is the macro will calculate the distance
from the current point on the line to the right margin
and then pipe the distance to the line drawing function \l.

Of course, the distance to the right margin will
constantly change.

Regards,
Michael
__
Mike Campbell  Sceard Systems, Inc. 544 South Pacific St. San Marcos, CA  92069
mrc@Sceard.COM         {hp-sdd,nosc,ucsd,uunet}!sceard!mrc      +1 619 471 0655

ausman@mad.qal.berkeley.edu (James Ausman) (03/22/90)

I have a friend that has a ptroff question. He would like to know
if it is possible to print pages rotated 90 degrees using troff.
If you know how (or if this is even possible) please send email to
him: <jacque@qal.berkeley.edu>
Thanks,
Jim Ausman
<ausman@qal.berkely.edu>

sppao@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Peter Pao) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar22.065455.2484@agate.berkeley.edu> ausman@mad.qal.berkeley.edu (James Ausman) writes:
>I have a friend that has a ptroff question. He would like to know
>if it is possible to print pages rotated 90 degrees using troff.
>If you know how (or if this is even possible) please send email to
>him: <jacque@qal.berkeley.edu>
>Thanks,
>Jim Ausman
><ausman@qal.berkely.edu>

I also want some information on that.  Please send mail to me too.
Thanxa lot!!!

Sender: Peter Pao
Internet: sppao@{dahlia | crocus | trillium}.waterloo.edu

terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) (03/23/90)

In article <22355@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, sppao@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Peter Pao) writes:
> In article <1990Mar22.065455.2484@agate.berkeley.edu> ausman@mad.qal.berkeley.edu (James Ausman) writes:
> >if it is possible to print pages rotated 90 degrees using troff.
>
> I also want some information on that.  Please send mail to me too.
> Thanxa lot!!!

OK OK
I'm trying to get through 4 million other projects
 it works like this
file | rot | nroffgraphics

ps the rot is NOT the one that makes the screen drip!
and you'll have to make the 90 deg fonts in nroffgraphics

if and when I get it together in one package Ill send it in to sources
terry

*  UUNET	...!pride386!terry       *  FAX	(714) 739 - 2203         *
*  Pern is a dragons best freind                                         *

ggww@sjfc.UUCP (Gerry Wildenberg) (02/07/91)

If this has gotten out before, my apologies.

A friend would like to do the following. He needs to be able to
specify to troff the exact lines to be printed (i.e. no filling or at
least no filling that borrows from the next line ) but he wants troff
to left and right adjust (presumably by adjusting the spacing between
words).

I believe there is no way to do this directly but that a macro or
pre-processor would be needed. Could any troff gurus comment?
--
Gerry Wildenberg                         ggww@sjfc.uucp
St. John Fisher College                  sjfc!ggww@cci.com

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/08/91)

In article <1235@sjfc.UUCP> ggww@sjfc.UUCP (Gerry Wildenberg) writes:
>A friend would like to do the following. He needs to be able to
>specify to troff the exact lines to be printed (i.e. no filling or at
>least no filling that borrows from the next line ) but he wants troff
>to left and right adjust (presumably by adjusting the spacing between
>words).

.nf

Surely the manual tells you this?

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (02/08/91)

In article <1235@sjfc.UUCP> ggww@sjfc.UUCP (Gerry Wildenberg) writes:

   A friend would like to do the following. He needs to be able to
   specify to troff the exact lines to be printed (i.e. no filling or at
   least no filling that borrows from the next line ) but he wants troff
   to left and right adjust (presumably by adjusting the spacing between
   words).

I don't think this can be done in any convenient way.  [nt]roff
refuses to fill lines it doesn't need to fill, which is basically what
you need before there is any point in adjusting.

Could you provide some information on the application for which your
friend wants this?  (There may be other ways to the solution that
exactly what he requests.)

--
[Erik Naggum]					     <enag@ifi.uio.no>
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway			   <erik@naggum.uu.no>

jjc@jclark.UUCP (James Clark) (02/09/91)

In article <1235@sjfc.UUCP> ggww@sjfc.UUCP (Gerry Wildenberg) writes:

   A friend would like to do the following. He needs to be able to
   specify to troff the exact lines to be printed (i.e. no filling or at
   least no filling that borrows from the next line ) but he wants troff
   to left and right adjust (presumably by adjusting the spacing between
   words).

The most straightforward way to do this is to enable filling and put
`\p' at the end of each input line.  With a bit of work explicit `\p's
can be avoided:

.ev 1
.nh
.ll 1u
.fi
.ev
.de x
.ev 1
.it 1 y
.di a
..
.de y
.br
.di
.ev
.nf
.di b
.dt \\n(dnu-1v z
.a
.di
.ds c \\*c\\
.am b
\\*c\p
\\..
.fi
.b
.x
..
.de z
.di
.di c
..
.de e
.it
.di
.ev
..
.sp 2
.x
first line of adjusted text
second line of adjusted text
third line of adjusted text
.e
unadjusted text

James Clark
jjc@jclark.uucp
jjc%jclark@relay.eu.net

eed_wwhh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (William H Huggins) (02/09/91)

In article <15125@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> >specify to troff the exact lines to be printed (i.e. no filling or at
> >least no filling that borrows from the next line ) but he wants troff
> >TO LEFT AND RIGHT ADJUST (presumably by adjusting the spacing between
> >words).
>
> .nf
>
> Surely the manual tells you this?

The manual also states that .nf implies  .na  which is what
the original questionner sought to avoid.
--
W.H. Huggins ECE Dept, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore MD 21218
attmail!huggin!whh,  eed_wwhh@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) (02/11/91)

In article <15125@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>.nf
>
>Surely the manual tells you this?

Doug, clean off your glasses and reread the request.  The guy wants this input

this looks like
quite a
mess

to produce this output:

this                          looks                          like
quite                                                           a
mess

or at least he says he does.  How would .nf do this?  Try:

.ad b
.fi
this looks like\p
quite a\p
mess\p

It's all in TFM under "Text Filling, Adjusting and Centering", BTW.
\p is kinda hard to miss if you aren't too lazy to look.

jimr@hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM (Jim Rogers) (02/12/91)

There are two Troff command pairs you need to study:

	.nf  -- Turn off the automatic fill
	.fi  -- Turn on the automatic fill (default state)

	.na  -- Turn off margin adjust
	.ad  -- Turn on margin adjust (default state)

If you want someting to appear just as you type it then you would
preceed that block of text with:
.na
.nf

and follow that block of text with:
.fi
.ad

If you only want to disable the automatic fill then preceed the block of
text with:
.nf

and follow it with:
.fi

No macro packages are needed for this capability.

Jim Rogers
Hewlett Packard Company

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/14/91)

In article <6188@segue.segue.com> jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) writes:
>In article <15125@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Surely the manual tells you this?

Yeah, so my suggestion didn't do what was wanted.
However, I was apparently right about the manual explaining how to do this.