[comp.unix.questions] .exinit file in VI

bguthy@amazon.eecs.umich.edu (Bala S. Guthy) (02/18/91)

Hello Netlanders, I have a simple question about vi, hope
there is a simple answer. How do I make read my .exinit file
in the $HOME directory?  I currently a make a copy of it into
all my subdirectories. Thank you

Bala S. Guthy   aktca  bguthy@eecs.umich.edu

bhoughto@hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.153009.21006@zip.eecs.umich.edu> bguthy@amazon.eecs.umich.edu (Bala S. Guthy) writes:
>Hello Netlanders, I have a simple question about vi, hope
>there is a simple answer. How do I make read my .exinit file
>in the $HOME directory?  I currently a make a copy of it into
>all my subdirectories. Thank you

Try

	mv $HOME/.exinit $HOME/.exrc

:-)

EXINIT is the name of the environment variable for
initializing vi(1) (and ex(1)).  If you're using a .exrc
file, you should not set or use EXINIT.

Go ahead and remove all those .exinit files...

				--Blair
				  "Huh?"

ehmeier@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Erich Meier) (02/19/91)

bguthy@amazon.eecs.umich.edu (Bala S. Guthy) writes:

>Hello Netlanders, I have a simple question about vi, hope
>there is a simple answer. How do I make read my .exinit file
>in the $HOME directory?

You have to name the file ".exrc" and put it in your home.
The ex or vi will read it automatically at initialisation.

Hope that helps,
Erich
---
Erich Meier          e-mail: ehmeier@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
		Ich mache gerade eine Kiwi-Diaet.....
			....ich esse alles ausser Kiwi!

wohler@sapwdf.UUCP (Bill Wohler) (02/20/91)

ehmeier@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Erich Meier) writes:
>bguthy@amazon.eecs.umich.edu (Bala S. Guthy) writes:

>>Hello Netlanders, I have a simple question about vi, hope
>>there is a simple answer. How do I make read my .exinit file
>>in the $HOME directory?

>You have to name the file ".exrc" and put it in your home.
>The ex or vi will read it automatically at initialisation.

  to slim down on startup time reading .exrc, put the vi stuff in
  an environment variable called EXINIT.

  zum biespiel in csh:
  setenv EXINIT \
  "set ai terse redraw wm=10|map , ^^|map V :%s/_^V^V^H//g|map ^X :w^M^Z"

  those are actual control characters in there (anyone know how to put
  control characters in without actually having control characters?).

						--bw
						wohler@sap-ag.de