[comp.unix.questions] Coherent

dalew@twiki.UUCP (Dale A. Weber) (05/02/90)

tbetz@upaya.lilink.COM (Tom Betz) writes:

> Bad points:
>
> C compiler only generates 8086 code (I hear they are working on
> 386-specific versions), no SCSI support, EMACS is default
> fullscreen editor, no vi.

  Add to this, no full UUCP support. No cu, uuxqt, uusnap, etc. listed
in their command list which I just received. Only the uucp command is
listed, and this is what they say is UUCP support. I don't think so...

  Dale
--
UUCP: ..!tektronix!tessi!twiki!dalew      (Watch this space for changes!)
      ..!{ogicse, sun!nosun}!{bucket, qiclab, tessi}!twiki!dalew

parsnips@dasys1.uucp (David Parsons) (05/04/90)

BYTE magazine for May, 1990 had an advertisment for a 'virtual clone' of
UNIX (including UUCP, LP, a Borne shell, and an unlimited number of
users) for $99.95.

Anybody have any experience with this product? (or, anybody have any good
rumors??)  It's from Mark Williams, I believe a respected name in the
field... I'm VERY tempted.

David Parsons
..!cmcl2!{ccnysci,cucard,hombre}!dasys1!parsnips

--
David Parsons
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

springal@hsi.UUCP (Rob Springall) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May4.003555.25539@dasys1.uucp> parsnips@dasys1.uucp (David Parsons) writes:
>BYTE magazine for May, 1990 had an advertisment for a 'virtual clone' of UNIX
>for $99.95.
>
>Anybody have any experience with this product? (or any good rumors??)  It's
>from Mark Williams, I believe a respected name in the field. I'm VERY tempted.

I got too tempted and I picked up the phone and ordered a copy.  It will
be shipped in two to three weeks.

Here are some of the details from their ad and the sales rep I spoke with:
	- Complete C compiler
	- Source code compatible with other *ix's (NOT object code compatible)
	- Includes Yacc, Lex and Awk
	- Includes UUCP, Mail and Usenet (news) progs
	- Supports Trailblazers
	- Can access DOS disks
	- Comes on five (5) diskettes (either 5.25" or 3.5")
	- 10 meg suggested disk space
	- Can run in a minimum of 640K
	- 64K kernel size
	- 60-day money-back guarantee

Things I don't know:
	- Whether or not (as according to rumor) the C compiler only does
	  8086 code and the small memory model
	- If the C compiler can be used to compile DOS .EXE's (like SCO Xenix)
	- If there are plans to include a DOS compatibility box.  As of now,
	  it will "access" DOS disks.
	- What shells it comes with (outside of the Bourne shell).  I would
	  like the C shell and the Korn shell would be nice.
	- Whether that "suggested" 10 meg of disk space holds a full system
	  or just a stripped version.
	- The amount of support for modems other than Trailblazers (if I had
	  to wait for a $99 Unix, you can see how I'm not on a Trailblazer
	  budget).
	- What kind of add-ons are planned.
	- Whether or not the user manual will be enough for someone who has
	  never admin'ed a site before (me).

Address & Phone Number:
	Mark Williams Company
	601 N. Skokie Highway
	Lake Bluff, IL  60044
	(800) MARK-WMS (627-5967)
	(708) 689-2300

The $99.95 price only lasts until July 31.  For the small amount of change
that they wanted, I figured it was worth a shot.  My biggest problem I
cleaning off enough of my hard drive (60 meg) for Coherent and my favorite
Unix code to fit.
--
Rob Springall                                              springal@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems                ...!{uunet, yale}!hsi!springal

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (05/06/90)

In article <84yii2w161w@twiki.UUCP> dalew@twiki.UUCP (Dale A. Weber) writes:
=  Add to this, no full UUCP support. No cu, uuxqt, uusnap, etc. listed
                                                    ^^^^^^
                                                    Pardon my ignorance, but
                                                    what is uusnap?  I have
                                                    SVR3.2 with BNU and it
                                                    doesn't have uusnap.

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800 ext 371  Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

dinda@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter A. Dinda - MIC@MACC - 608/263/7744) (05/09/90)

In article <1437@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, springal@hsi.UUCP (Rob Springall) writes...

some stuff

I called Mark Williams inc (1-800-MARK-WMS) and was told that the c
compiler in coherent seamlessly supports the protected mode...

+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
: Peter A. Dinda              : Microcomputer Information Center at   :
: dinda@VMS.macc.wisc.edu <*> : Madison Academic Computing Center     :
: dinda@jomby.cs.wisc.edu     : 1210 W Dayton St., 1150A, 3121, 1106A :
: MIC@MACC BBS => 608 263 6057: Madison, WI 53706                     :
: "Apple: Business by Lawsuit": 608 263 7744                          :
+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------+

akcs.peter@vpnet.chi.il.us (Peter Bechtold) (07/03/90)

That's what i like to know !
>Item: 1164 by larry at vaxb.acs.unt.edu
Could anybody post the address (or better phone number ) of MW Company ?

thanx, peter

sui@cat56.cs.wisc.edu (Sui Choy) (08/05/90)

 Regarding to the product Coherent Unix I mentioned earlier in the net,
 I had the reply

From: Scott Rose <rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu>   as follows
>...  Coherent runs in protected mode, but
>not (yet) in 386 native mode.  A major downside is the C compiler, which
>is small model only.  Major upsides are UUCP, yacc, lex, kermit, compress,
>tar, and about 100 other commands.  Some have bugs.  Its a new release of
>an adaptation of an old product, and costs $100.  That's the best I can
>do for you.  You are welcome to subscribe to the list, and/or to request
>the back traffic to see if you think its for you.  Or write to
>"mwc!support@uunet.uu.net" for more information.

				- Philip
                                  sui@garfield.cs.wisc.edu

doug@conexch.UUCP (Doug Burke) (10/25/90)

Has anyone used the the Unix clone called Coherent? It is being marketed
through the Mark Williams Company for $99.00 and as AT&T System V
compatible.  Sounds like a good deal for the PC...is it too good to be true?

Thanks in advance

Doug Burke

yahn@midget.towson.edu (Jan Zawadzki) (12/03/90)

Greetings...
	For all of you out there considering purchase of Coherent:

	I bought it in early April, when they first started advertising it.
Since then I toyed with it considerably.  Few things you should be aware of:

1.  small memory model.  If you think it is not so bad, just think about it.
    It does not sound as bad as it really is.  Most of the stuff you are used
    to will not port under Coherent (probably).  Almost nothing of the GNU
    stuff...  The problem is with the kernel (according to MWC)  They are
    planning a re-write, but will not give a probable release time.  Might
    be a year or two...  ON THE OTHER HAND:  if you are hoping to have some
    fun, and to learn something about UNIX and system administration, this
    is it.  The weekend I got Coherent I learned more about UNIX than in the
    two years I spent playing on our BSD machine.  It is quite different from
    behind the wheel...   Hopefully you will not write anything larger than
    64K for the heck of it...  Again, as a learning tool it is a steal.
2.  If you are serious about development at home, it is still possible, IF
    you are willing to make some sacrifices.  Coherent was done in the spirit
    of the original UNIX: simple and fast.  Working with Coherent will force
    you to go back to the good old days, when a program did one thing and did
    it well.
3.  It is a UNIX.  It does have awk, grep, vi, sed, m4, and many other things.
    Some of the utilities have problems: me, the MWC version of MicroEmacs will
    drive you up a wall if you aren't willing to use vi.  Their tar sometimes
    has problems (Here is an exception: GNU tar ports!).  A lot of people are
    porting stuff over though.  There are two sites where this stuff is av
    available (forget the addreses now, but will post), there is a mailing list.
    You will be surprised to find that MWC is on that list - frequently they
    will answer questions and try to resolve your problems by email.
4.  If you expecting tcp/ip, X, sockets, or anything like it you will have to
    wait.  (According to MWC: ) Coherent was designed and buit a simple system,
    and porting stuff like X will require the large (huge?) memory model at f
    first, and then there will be speed and efficiency considerations.
    Coherent runs well on slow machines with little (relatively speaking) memory
    and X would pretty much stink under such conditions.  Networking has not
    been mentioned on the list yet.  It is probably because so far the system
    did not gain suffiecient interest as a XENIX (or whatever) competitor.
    At this point it really isn't.  (A 'funny': there is no swapper! Quite a
    shock when you first ps -xa !  Actually it is an option: you can run it
    if you want to...)

In all, it is very good system (for what you pay).  Don't expect a freebie, it
is not one.  For home use it should be more than sufficient though.  With the
optional device driver kit you get to mess with the kernel, it's fun (how
many of you get to do that at work..?).
	If you don't like it, you can always return it, anywayz...

Jan

Disc: I am simply a satisfied customer...

yahn@midget.towson.edu

AAW151@uriacc.uri.edu ( Andy Patrizio) (12/03/90)

Just to tack a little side note on to this article...

One complaint that has been registered about Coherent is the lack of a decent
shell. That, however, has been rectified. A friend of mine has written a shell
for Coherent very similar to the Korn Shell, and is marketing it for $35.
Mark Williams, the producer of Coherent, knows full well about "ash" and
Dave Fischer (the programmer), so they can tell you more.

Any Coherent owners who want to contact Dave can write me and I will give
you has address.

-----
Bitnet: aaw151@uriacc.bitnet                       |  Andy Patrzio
ARPA: aaw151%uriacc.bitnet@brownvm.brown.edu       |  Box 705 Ellery Hall
Internet: aaw151@uriacc.uri.edu                    |  URI
Usenet: simon@sbs.bbs.com                          |  Kingston, RI 02881
...or...: andypo@idsvax.ids.com                    |  (401) 782-2758
UUCP: ..uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo
-----
"I'm taking Psychobabble for my language requirement" - me.
-----

rfabian@beach.gal.utexas.edu (02/21/91)

	Does anyone know anything about a Unix clone for PC
by the name of Coherent?  How well does it work?  How well do
other Unix based programs run on it?

-R.H.F.