[comp.unix.questions] Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

mike (02/22/91)

In an article, rob@aeras.UUCP (Rob Rogers) writes:
>Good 'ole DOS uses "\". It doesn't think twice about a / in a filename.

I may be wrong about this with the current DOS, but many moons ago when I
was (nauseatingly enough) working with this particular program loader, both
the backslash and forward-slash were valid path delimiters.  Passing forward-
slashes to the open or create function worked.  In fact, there is an
undocumented function that will change the switch character so that COMMAND.COM
will allow the forward-slash on the command line.

To the best of my knowledge, the slash in either incarnation is not allowed
in DOS filenames.  If this has changed, please correct me.

Cheers,
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

>(I teach people that come from Macs to UNIX. It takes a long time to get
>used to _not_ putting a space in a name.)

Of course, depending on the software you're running, you may not have to
worry about putting spaces in names in UNIX.  Dunno if the Sun File
Manager, or X.desktop, or Looking Glass, or whatever, make it hard to
manipulate files with spaces in their names, but I just successfully
created such a file with MicroEMACS, and sometimes created them
(deliberately) with the CCI OFFICEPOWER software.  It's a pain to deal
with them in traditional UNIX command-line interfaces, but most if not
all of them do allow quoting of such names.