[comp.unix.questions] BRIEF lookalike for Unix?

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (02/11/91)

A friend of mine has just moved from MS-DOS to Unix, and while he
likes all the neato-keen features that Unix has, he misses his
favorite editor, BRIEF.  So, I was wondering if anybody has heard
of a BRIEF lookalike that runs under Unix.  PD/freeware preferred,
but commercialware would probably be okay, too.

--
Marc Unangst                | "I think I have a bad disk.  Even though I
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us   |  folded it to fit into my drive, it still

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (02/11/91)

Check out crisp, which can be FTP'd from wuarchive.wustl.edu, in
/usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume7/crisp1.9.

--
Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (02/12/91)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>A friend of mine has just moved from MS-DOS to Unix, and while he
>likes all the neato-keen features that Unix has, he misses his
>favorite editor, BRIEF.  So, I was wondering if anybody has heard
>of a BRIEF lookalike that runs under Unix.  PD/freeware preferred,
>but commercialware would probably be okay, too.

there'a a beast called CRISP that even gives me smiling ibm faces
etc :-) it's free/whateverware, and it's on wuarchive.wustl.edu in
usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume7/crisp-1.9.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]:

mundt@b11.ingr.com (mundt) (02/19/91)

I don't think there is a BRIEF editor available for Unix, but the
toll-free number for Solution Systems (BRIEF's authors) is
1-800-335-1166.  Good Luck.

Noahal Mundt

Intergraph Corporation - One Madison Industrial Park
Mail Stop: CR1105 - Huntsville, AL 35807-4201
voice: wk (205) 730-5619 *NEW*  hm (205) 461-0907 *NEW*
data: (Internet) b11!noahal!mundt@ingr.com -or- mundt@b11.ingr.com
      (Compuserve) 72317.3643@compuserve.com

erl@jt.dk (Erik B. Larsen) (02/21/91)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>A friend of mine has just moved from MS-DOS to Unix, and while he
>likes all the neato-keen features that Unix has, he misses his
>favorite editor, BRIEF.  So, I was wondering if anybody has heard
>of a BRIEF lookalike that runs under Unix.  PD/freeware preferred,
>but commercialware would probably be okay, too.

>--
>Marc Unangst                | "I think I have a bad disk.  Even though I
>mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us   |  folded it to fit into my drive, it still
>...!umich!leebai!mudos!mju  |  doesn't work..." -Caller to a tech support line

If your friend are glad for Brief, I understand him.

You see - Emacs is an editor, which works on most Unix system.
Emacs was devolped before Brief, so Brief is the DOS answar of Emacs.

You can get Emacs free from GNU.

Regards

Erik Bruijn Larsen
Systemadministrator
Jutland Telephone Company
Denmark
Email : erl@jt.dk

Remember: The Sun is always shining!

jrp@rducky.uucp (JIM PICKERING) (02/26/91)

In article <786@jt.dk> erl@jt.dk (Erik B. Larsen) writes:
>mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>
>>A friend of mine has just moved from MS-DOS to Unix, and while he
>>likes all the neato-keen features that Unix has, he misses his
>>favorite editor, BRIEF.  So, I was wondering if anybody has heard
>>of a BRIEF lookalike that runs under Unix.  PD/freeware preferred,
>>but commercialware would probably be okay, too.
>
>>--
>>Marc Unangst                | "I think I have a bad disk.  Even though I
>>mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us   |  folded it to fit into my drive, it still
>>...!umich!leebai!mudos!mju  |  doesn't work..." -Caller to a tech support line
>

>If your friend are glad for Brief, I understand him.
>
>You see - Emacs is an editor, which works on most Unix system.
>Emacs was devolped before Brief, so Brief is the DOS answar of Emacs.
>
>You can get Emacs free from GNU.

Is there a set of Brief macro files for Emacs?

jim
--
Jim Pickering c/o Technical Solutions   || (north) ..csustan!polyslo!rducky!jrp
829 Quail Court                         || (south) ..sdsu!polyslo!rducky!jrp

gumbyltd@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (Dmitry Gokhman) (02/27/91)

I downloaded Crisp from wuarc and compiled under SunOS 1.2,
it produced an executable which promptly hangs when run.
Is there some trick, that I am missing?
I tried to customize Emacs, to make it accept some of the
basic Brief commands, but couldn't even get it to recognize
the arrow keys or the function keys.  I know there is a file
sunkeys.el, but don't know enough about Lisp or Emacs to get
anything going.  I tried running Brief itself (what a gem!)
under DOS windows (Sun's 286 emulation), but it's awfully slow.
A Sparc 2 ought to do better, so the bottom line is:
I'd prefer to get Crisp working.  Any advice?
BTW the Emacs manual says very little about customization
except that it is possible.  Please help, I really miss
Brief and I am getting mouse elbow from using Textedit.
- Mr. Gumby    * \oo7    Dmitry Gokhman -> gumbyltd@math.berkeley.edu
   says:        `/v/-*   University of Cauliflower
MY BRAIN HURTS  J  L     Broccoli CA 94720