[comp.unix.questions] Lost Root password.

mds@netmbx.UUCP (Michael Such) (02/08/91)

Hi,

I've got a problem.

We have an intel 320 running Xenix (3.5)
We've (well they) lost the root password! I have the original installation tape
but I don't want to reinstall everything, we also have a couple of
other 320's around so I could make a boot disk/tape.

Any ideas?

Thanx for any imput.

Mike
--
                              Mike Such
                       NETMBX - Berlin, Germany

) (02/12/91)

In article <1839@netmbx.UUCP> mds@netmbx.UUCP (Michael Such) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've got a problem.
>
>We have an intel 320 running Xenix (3.5)
>We've (well they) lost the root password! I have the original installation tape
>but I don't want to reinstall everything, we also have a couple of
>other 320's around so I could make a boot disk/tape.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanx for any imput.
>
>Mike
>--
>                              Mike Such
>                       NETMBX - Berlin, Germany

I can understand the problem since we had a similar one here in Chico.  We
had a bunch of Convergent Technologies Miniframes that had been off for a
little while and no one knew the root passwords for them.  We did have a
floppy boot disk though.  So what we did was we booted the system from
floppy, mounted the hard drive manually, and edited the password file,
taking out the root password.

			I hope this helps.
					ack (aka Andy Santoro).

spero@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Spero Kouloures) (02/20/91)

> I've got a problem.
>
> ... We've (well they) lost the root password! ...

While this has never happened to me :-) a procedure which we use
all the time for fixing corrupt systems it to take the hard disk
from the "bad" system,  connect it to another working system,
fsck and mount it, then edit any files which require changes
(i.e. /etc/passwd).

Good Luck,

Spero Koulouras

sivesh@ingr.com (sivesh pradhaan) (02/28/91)

In article <4460011@hpindda.cup.hp.com>, spero@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Spero Kouloures) writes:
|> > I've got a problem.
|> >
|> > ... We've (well they) lost the root password! ...
|>
|> While this has never happened to me :-) a procedure which we use
|> all the time for fixing corrupt systems it to take the hard disk
|> from the "bad" system,  connect it to another working system,
|> fsck and mount it, then edit any files which require changes
|> (i.e. /etc/passwd).
|>
|> Good Luck,
|>
|> Spero Koulouras

 This indeed is the quickest and easiest way of recovering, but there is an
"official" way of doing this. It is described in the Sys. Adm. guide (sys v
AT&T). According to it, you need to take your system to firmware mode,enter the
firmware passwd and execute /unix. Now login as root (!!) and restore your "/"
file system from backups. Some files are saved in /usr/old too, so take a peek
in there as well. Set the passwd for root and you are all set!!!

I am not sure if this is a standerd way of recovering from a forgotten root
passwd situation or not, but you may give it a shot.

-Sivesh