[comp.unix.questions] Environment variable HOSTALIASES

mjo@mole.ai.mit.edu (Mike O'Connor) (03/01/91)

Dear comp.unix.questions:

On many flavors of BSD 4.3, I can set an environment variable called
HOSTALIASES to point to a file.  Example (under csh):

setenv HOSTALIASES somefile

If somefile contains hosts listed in the following way...

sim20 wuarchive.wustl.edu
uunet uunet.uu.net
dr ticsys.tamu.edu
mole mole.ai.mit.edu

...then I can abbreviate the full name of the host (the right part) with
the abbreviation (the left part).  Examples:

ftp sim20 will expand to:          ftp wuarchive.wustl.edu
mail user@uunet will expand to:    mail user@uunet.uu.net
telnet dr 2000 will expand to:     telnet ticsys.tamu.edu 2000
finger @mole will expand to:       finger @mole.ai.mit.edu

Two questions:

1.  I wish to implement this on an IBM PC RT running BSD 4.3.  How do I
go about doing this?  The procedure above doesn't seem to work on this
version of BSD 4.3.  (It works on HP300s BSD 4.3 and VAX Ultrix 4.0, as
far as I can verify.)

2.  I'd love to RTFM on the subject, but I have no idea of where to
start.  Where are the relevant subjects I should "man"?

--
Mike O'Connor
Internet:  mjo@mole.ai.mit.edu

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (03/01/91)

[...]

Internet: 	mjo@ais.org
Domain UUCP: 	mjo@ttardis.UUCP
Bang UUCP: 	...!uunet!sharkey!cfctech!ttardis!mjo

In article <1991Feb28.231939.28562@engin.umich.edu> mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) writes:

>On many flavors of BSD 4.3, I can set an environment variable called
>HOSTALIASES to point to a file.  Example (under csh):

 This is implemented by the resolver library routines.

>1.  I wish to implement this on an IBM PC RT running BSD 4.3.  How do I
>go about doing this?  The procedure above doesn't seem to work on this

 You build a suitable resolver library, then recompile everything that
needs it.  (If you are lucky there is some sort of dynamic link library,
and rebuilding that library will fix everything ???)

>2.  I'd love to RTFM on the subject, but I have no idea of where to
>start.  Where are the relevant subjects I should "man"?

 man 3 resolver
 man 8 named
	and various things referenced from these.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940