[comp.unix.questions] How to make a link with a directory

duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) (03/03/91)

I would like to know how to make the following link to a directory as
the following

l---------   1 root     sys           23 Jun 13  1990 cplot@ -> /u3/sjo/cplot/bin/cplot

Thanks..
						duc

mike (03/03/91)

In an article, duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
>I would like to know how to make the following link to a directory as
>the following
>
>l---------   1 root     sys           23 Jun 13  1990 cplot@ -> /u3/sjo/cplot/bin/cplot

Are you talking about symbolic links or hard links (this looks symbolic)?
If you want a hard link, use link(2); if you want a symbolic link, use
symlink(2).  If you want to do this from the command line or a script, then
read up on the ln(1) command.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/03/91)

In article <38578@netnews.upenn.edu> duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
>I would like to know how to make the following link to a directory as
>the following
>l---------   1 root     sys           23 Jun 13  1990 cplot@ -> /u3/sjo/cplot/bin/cplot

?  I would think that if you looked up "link" in the Permuted Index
of your UNIX User's Manual, you would find the description of the "ln"
command.  The answer is, of course,
	ln -s /u3/sjo/cplot cplot