[comp.unix.questions] reading a list from a file

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.175759.18653@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu writes:
%Is there any way to read a list from a file? For instance, could I say
%
%for x in <friends>; do finger $x; done
%
%		Thanx.
%
%=============================================================================
%David C Worenklein          | No one could tell me where my soul might be;
 Try:
for x in `cat filewithlistoffriends` # note these are `s not 's
do
finger $x
done
---------
sar.casm \'sa:r-.kaz-*m\ \sa:r-'kas-tik\ \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [F sarcasme, fr.
   LL sarcasmos, fr. Gk sarkasmos, fr. sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips
   in rage, sneer, fr. sark-, sarx flesh; akin to Av thwar*s to cut] 1: a
   cutting, hostile, or contemptuous remark : GIBE 2: the use of caustic or
   ironic language - sar.cas.tic aj

                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

ahh@glyph.kingston.ny.us (Andy Heffernan) (03/10/91)

In article <7395@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
>In article <1991Mar6.175759.18653@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu writes:
>%Is there any way to read a list from a file? For instance, could I say
>%
[...]
> Try:
>for x in `cat filewithlistoffriends` # note these are `s not 's
>do
>finger $x
>done

or (in sh):
	while read blatz
	do
		finger $blatz
	done < some_file

where some_file contains:
	Joe
	Larry
	Bonehead-the-Wonder-Dog
	etc.

  Andy Heffernan		$BJ8;z(J		uunet!glyph!ahh