[comp.unix.questions] How to set up kermit instead of telnet???

duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) (03/10/91)

Hi..

I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..

							duc

In article <38990@netnews.upenn.edu>, duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
|> I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
|> to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
|> net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
|> kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
|> local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
|> manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
|> am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..

  Um, "kermit 2.3" on which system?  The only kermit I know of that would be
installed on a SunOS 4.1 system is C-kermit from Columbia, and that has
version numbers that look like "4E(072)", not like "2.3", and "set term
tek4010" doesn't work on it.  If the kermit you're talking about is the one on
your SunOS machine, then could you give a little bit more information about it?

  Are you saying that you have a version of kermit on a PC that knows how to
do tek4010 terminal emulation?  If so, that's very different from getting
kermit on a Unix-like system to do the same thing.

  Now, if what you're really saying is that you've got a tek4010 emulator on
your SunOS machine, but you don't know how to tell telnet to use the terminal
type tek4010 when connecting to a remote system, you can probably do that by
setting the TERM environment variable to tek4010 before running telnet.  You
can also set the TERM environment variable (and reset or unset TERMCAP if
necessary) on the remote host after you have connected with telnet.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.234810.27880@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <38990@netnews.upenn.edu>, duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
>|> I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
>|> to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
>|> net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
>|> kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
>|> local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
>|> manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
>|> am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..
>
>  Um, "kermit 2.3" on which system?  The only kermit I know of that would be
>installed on a SunOS 4.1 system is C-kermit from Columbia, and that has
>version numbers that look like "4E(072)", not like "2.3", and "set term
>tek4010" doesn't work on it.  If the kermit you're talking about is the one on
>your SunOS machine, then could you give a little bit more information about it?
>
>  Are you saying that you have a version of kermit on a PC that knows how to
>do tek4010 terminal emulation?  If so, that's very different from getting
>kermit on a Unix-like system to do the same thing.
>
>  Now, if what you're really saying is that you've got a tek4010 emulator on
>your SunOS machine, but you don't know how to tell telnet to use the terminal
>type tek4010 when connecting to a remote system, you can probably do that by
>setting the TERM environment variable to tek4010 before running telnet.  You
>can also set the TERM environment variable (and reset or unset TERMCAP if
>necessary) on the remote host after you have connected with telnet.
>
>--
>Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
>MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
>jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
>Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710

Thank you to all who responsed my question.
Sorry about my ambiguity question, I meant that I would like to use kermit as
a local to connect to a network e.g eniac.seas.upenn.edu (which is SunOS 4.1).
The "telnet" does the job but it doesn't change the local terminal emulator to
tek4010. Yes, I know that I can change envirorment term to tek4010 in the sun
by setting ther "term tek" (I received most of the answer for this method)..
But NO, some how FLUENT doesn't work this way. We have to change the local
terminal emulator before we display the graphics (I have know ideas why is
this happen though, my system adm said it doesn't matter at all if we change
the term type to tek when we are running on the Sun). I did try to read the
kermit 3.02 manual for setting up the connection and it seem useless...So
here again, what do i have to do to set up kermit instead of using telnet..
Assuming that "telnet" is a client to connect to your network and your network
is the same as mine..Thank you for your responses..

						duc

duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP):
> Hi..
>
> I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
> to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
> net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
> kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
> local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
> manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
> am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..
As long as the terminal you are sitting it can do 4010 stuff, then
after you telnet to the remote system, and sign on, set your
terminal type to "tek4010", and run your application.  Telnet
won't molest the bits, so they should display just fine on
your screen (as long as your screen is 4010 compatable).

Setting the terminal varies with the shell you use.  For csh
	setenv TERM tek4010
	unsetenv TERMCAP
	unsetenv TERMINFO
will cause the system termcap (or terminfo database, depending
on what type of software you use) to be queried for info on
terminal type "tek4010".  As long as that's defined on the
target machine, you should be in business.

Hope this helps,
Ric (ric@cs.arizona.edu <Ric Anderson>)

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 19:16:59 cst
From: Xing Wu <wuxing@comp.mscs.mu.edu>
To: duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: How to set up kermit instead of telnet???
Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions

In article <38990@netnews.upenn.edu> you write:
>I am running FLUENT in SunOS 4.1 and I need to use tek4010 terminal emulation
>to display the graphics. But in  here we use "telnet" to connect to the
>net work so there is no way i can change the term to tek4010. I know that
>kermit 2.3 has the option "set term tek4010", so is it possible to use a
>local kermit to connect to the network instead of telnet?? i read the kermit
>manual and have no idea how to set the line to connect to the network??What
>am i supposed to do in order to use kermit?? Thanks for your responses..

You normally can't connect to a network with kermit; you'd need a
dialers entry for the network (which might be possible), but you'd
also need a getty-equivalent running on the other side.

Why, specifically, can't you set the term to tek4010 when you connect?
I'm not familiar with FLUENT; I assume that you don't/can't get a shell
so you can set the environmental variable.

I believe that the telnet client merely reads the environment to get
the terminal type that it reports to the remote.  Therefore, it ought
to be possible for you to set your terminal type on the local machine
before connecting.  If you don't want to mess up your real environment,
you can just make a shell script:

TERM=tek4010; export TERM
telnet foobar

  I'm sorry, but I still don't see enough information to be able to help you.
And the information that you *have* provided appears to be rather jumbled and
confusing, which makes it even more difficult.  So, let me outline some
questions that it would help if you would answer:

  1) What is the name of the machine you are trying to go *from*?  What kind
of machine is it?  What operating system is it running? Is it on the network
directly?

  2) What is the name of the machine you are trying to go *to*?  What kind of
machine is it?  What operating system is it running?  Is it on the network
directly?

  3) Do you actually *have* a version of kermit that knows how to do terminal
emulation and display graphics?  As I've said in my last message, the kermit
you have described is not the same as the kermit with which I am familiar on
Unix system.  What version of kermit is it?  What does it print (exactly) when
you start it up?  When you type "help term", what does it gives as the
description for the "term" command?

  4) Alternatively, do you have some other sort of program on the *from* host
that does terminal emulation, or are you expecting the terminal emulation to
take place on the *to* host?  Or are you actually using a tek4010 terminal?
This point is particularly confusing.

  5) What exactly is FLUENT?  Does it run on the *from* host or the *to* host?
How do you normally use it (i.e. we've established that what you're trying to
do to use it now isn't working, but presumably there is some way you have used
it in the past that *has* worked)?

  One final note.  You do not appear to really have a good grasp of the
technical terminology involved in the question you are trying to ask, and that
makes it very difficult for us to understand what you are asking, because
you're not using the right terms at all.  Furthermore (and I don't mean this
as an insult or anything), English doesn't appear to be your native language;
your English is good, but not always clear, and that also makes your question
difficult to understand.

  It would be easier for us to help you if you would run your postings by
someone with more technical experience before posting.  For example, show this
posting to your system administrator and ask *him* to help you answer the
questions.

--

In article <39033@netnews.upenn.edu> duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
>Sorry about my ambiguity question, I meant that I would like to use kermit as
>a local to connect to a network e.g eniac.seas.upenn.edu (which is SunOS 4.1).
>The "telnet" does the job but it doesn't change the local terminal emulator to
>tek4010. Yes, I know that I can change envirorment term to tek4010 in the sun
>by setting ther "term tek" (I received most of the answer for this method)..
>But NO, some how FLUENT doesn't work this way. We have to change the local
>terminal emulator before we display the graphics (I have know ideas why is
>this happen though, my system adm said it doesn't matter at all if we change
>the term type to tek when we are running on the Sun). I did try to read the
>kermit 3.02 manual for setting up the connection and it seem useless...So
>here again, what do i have to do to set up kermit instead of using telnet..
>Assuming that "telnet" is a client to connect to your network and your network
>is the same as mine..Thank you for your responses..

You still haven't told us what kind of system the *local* machine is.  That
is where your problem is, not on the remote Sun.

If the local machine is capable of running an X server, then you could use
xterm, which includes a Tektronix 4010 emulation mode.

Since Kermit's primary purpose is to provide file transfer over serial
lines, it generally doesn't support making other kinds of connections, such
as connecting over a TCP/IP network.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

aronb@gkcl.ists.ca (Aron Burns) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.104750.19938@Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <39033@netnews.upenn.edu> duong@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (ROBOCOP) writes:
[...]
>>But NO, some how FLUENT doesn't work this way. We have to change the local
>>terminal emulator before we display the graphics (I have know ideas why is
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So he's probably running PC-NFS with telnet on a microcomputer  and wants
to run Kermit instead (MS-Kermit supports Tek emulation and VT320 sixel
graphics, reasonably completely).

[...]
>>the term type to tek when we are running on the Sun). I did try to read the
>>kermit 3.02 manual for setting up the connection and it seem useless...So

Almost useless.  See the section on 'INT14' and networking.

>>here again, what do i have to do to set up kermit instead of using telnet..
[...]

>If the local machine is capable of running an X server, then you could use
>xterm, which includes a Tektronix 4010 emulation mode.

Big performance hit, but it would work.  Cost would also be a factor.

>Since Kermit's primary purpose is to provide file transfer over serial
>lines, it generally doesn't support making other kinds of connections, such
>as connecting over a TCP/IP network.

MS-Kermit, as opposed to C-Kermit and other variants, is designed to
be a termianal emulator as well as do file transfers.  And, it has
built-in functionality with Novell, 3Com, and any network
supporting INT14 redirection ( I gather this is the software interupt
used for the comm port ).

PC-NFS does not support INT14 redirection ( at least not below
3.5, I don't know about the most recent release ).   A product
called BW-NFS does support INT14 redirection.

If he were to load BW-NFS on the micro with the redirector active,
he could then fire up MS-Kermit, 'connect', type 'ATDT systemname'
(as though a modem were attached instead of ethernet), and get a connect
to the systemname system.  At this point Tek and VT{123}xx emulation
is available.

All the regualar PC-NFS functionality is available, as well as some
handy utilities like traceroute.

BW-NFS is produced by a small company in Ancastor, Ontario, Canada,
called Beame and Whiteside Software.  I don't have the number
handy.

Disclaimer:  a satisfied customer.  No financial relationship.

Aaron Burns      	     "Nothing I say on the net is binding
aronb@gkcl.ists.ca         to our corporation"
Toronto, Ontario         "Life is a forge, and the purest metal
(416)392-4310             comes from the hottest fire"