[comp.unix.questions] Release V.3.1 vs V.3.2

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj) (03/13/91)

Could some kind soul please tell me any functional differences b/n
3.1 vs 3.2. Or refer me to the proper book that explains this to me.

Thanks very much.

Ice.

--
"No one had the guts... until now!"
$anjay $ingh     Fire & "Ice"     ssingh@watserv1.[u]waterloo.{edu|cdn}/[ca]

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar12.224533.15997@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj) writes:
> Could some kind soul please tell me any functional differences b/n
> 3.1 vs 3.2. Or refer me to the proper book that explains this to me.

Assuming, as your subject line hints, that you're talking about AT&T's
UNIX System V Release 3, the "book" to look for is the release notes
for Release 3.2, for the specific hardware platform you are upgrading.

You can (or could) get copies of these from Prentice Hall for the 3b2
and 386 versions.

The major differences seem to be the addition of FACE, based on
FMLI/ETI; a major upgrade to the lp spooler; and significant
improvements to the networking code.  Some vendors have also jumped to
using STREAMS based tty's with 3.2, though not in the 386 world to the
best of my knowledge.

In the 386 world, significant XENIX compatability was also added.

Some versions also included a significantly improved compiler.

Note that many vendors never release SysV/386r3.1, but rather jumped
from 3.0 to 3.2, sometimes with strange sub-jumps (eg. ISC's 386/ix 2.0).
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada