[comp.unix.questions] Encapsulated Postscript to PIC converter tools

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (03/13/91)

I am looking for a way to convert Encapsulated postscript into PIC or Ditroff
format directly. Does anyone know of any tools
(freeware/shareware/commercialware etc.) that can be used to achieve this?

Also if anyone knows of a way to pull in EPS files to Framemaker (or tools to
do this, etc.)

I would like to do this on a sun workstation using the sunOS 4.0 or later.

Thanks

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

In article <5528@tellab5.tellabs.com>, wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) writes:
|> I am looking for a way to convert Encapsulated postscript into PIC or Ditroff
|> format directly. Does anyone know of any tools
|> (freeware/shareware/commercialware etc.) that can be used to achieve this?

  Question: What does this have to do with Unix?

  Comp.lang.postscript might have been more appropriate.  And if you're making
the connection between ditroff and Unix, then perhaps alt.text.dwb would have
been appropriate.

  In any case, if you're talking about taking an EPS file that uses arbitrary
postscript commands in it (i.e. anything that doesn't violate the EPS
standard), then the only way to convert the file to another format is to get a
PostScript interpreter.  For example, you can get the "gs" interpreter,
available from any FSF archive site, preview the file on-screen, and then take
a window-dump of it to turn it into a bitmap.

  I believe there is code in the comp.sources.unix archives to include a
PostScript file in a ditroff document (take a look at the "psfig" package), in
case you're actually asking how to do that, not asking how to "convert" the
PostScript file into a file with ditroff commands in it.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

adoyle@bbn.com (Allan Doyle) (03/15/91)

	writes:
>|> I am looking for a way to convert Encapsulated postscript
	into PIC or Ditroff
>|> format directly. Does anyone know of any tools
>|> (freeware/shareware/commercialware etc.) that can be used to achieve this?
>
>  Question: What does this have to do with Unix?

Come on! You've been very busy trying to kick questions off of
comp.unix.wizards and comp.unix.internals. Now someone posts a questions
here where you keep telling people to go and you complain. Give this guy
a break!

Allan Doyle                                        adoyle@bbn.com
Bolt Beranek and Newman,  Incorporated             (617) 873-3398
10 Moulton Street, Cambridge, MA 02138

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar15.000421.15906@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <5528@tellab5.tellabs.com>, wiseman@tellabs.com (that's me!) writes:
>|> I am looking for a way to convert Encapsulated postscript into PIC or Ditroff
>|> format directly. Does anyone know of any tools
>|> (freeware/shareware/commercialware etc.) that can be used to achieve this?
>
>  Question: What does this have to do with Unix?

My fault :-) I should've indicated that I specifically needed a tool that would
run on a unix (specifically a SPARC) platform.

>  Comp.lang.postscript might have been more appropriate.

I did try there also. Problem is that I specifically need a tool rather than
the theory through which I could build one. I don't really have the time to
develop one of my own.

>  I believe there is code in the comp.sources.unix archives to include a
>PostScript file in a ditroff document (take a look at the "psfig" package), in

Jonathan, this sounds very much like what I might need. I have also had some
requests sent to me to pass this on if it should work.

I do not have ftp access to anywhere and I do not know how to access these
comp.sources.unix archives. Does anyone know if this psfig might help or how I
could get a copy?

--

In article <5572@tellab5.tellabs.com>, wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) writes:
|> I did try there also.

  You mean you posted your message separately to comp.lang.postscript, rather
than cross-posting to both comp.unix.questions and comp.lang.postscript in one
message?  See the paragraph entitled "Only Post a Message Once" in the posting
"A Primer on How to Work With the Usenet Community" posted periodically to
news.announce.newusers.  If the article has expired at your site, you can get
it via anonymous ftp from pit-manager.mit.edu in the file

	/pub/usenet/news.announce.newusers/A_Primer_on_How_to_Work_With_the_Usenet_Community

or by sending mail to "mail-server@pit-manager.mit.edu" with the subject or
text

	send usenet/news.announce.newusers/A_Primer_on_How_to_Work_With_the_Usenet_Community

|> I do not have ftp access to anywhere and I do not know how to access these
|> comp.sources.unix archives. Does anyone know if this psfig might help or how I
|> could get a copy?

  You can retrieve from anonymous ftp archives using the bitftp server on
pucc.princeton.edu.  For more information, send a message to
"bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu" with text "help".

  Furthermore, there is a mail server on the machin hrc.UUCP that has
comp.sources.unix archived.  Send mail to "archives@hrc.UUCP" with contents

	send path uunet!tellab5!wiseman
	send help