[comp.unix.questions] remove filename 'xxx xxx'

zhou@unizh.ifi.unizh.ch ( ass bei richter) (03/20/91)

I would like to know from you on how to remove a file named: XXX XXX
from the unix file system, e.g. 'rm xmas card', where 'xmas card' is
a single file name which was saved from 'rn'.

Thanks a lot in advance.

In article <1991Mar20.151552.16019@ifi.unizh.ch>, zhou@unizh.ifi.unizh.ch ( ass bei richter) writes:
|> I would like to know from you on how to remove a file named: XXX XXX
|> from the unix file system, e.g. 'rm xmas card', where 'xmas card' is
|> a single file name which was saved from 'rn'.

  This is answered, in question number 2, in the Frequently Asked Questions
posting for the comp.unix.questions newsgroup.  If this article has expred at
your site, then you can wait until it is posted again, or you can retrieve it
via anonymous ftp from pit-manager.mit.edu (18.72.1.58) in the file

    /pub/usenet/comp.unix.questions/Frequently_Asked_Questions_about_Unix_-_with_Answers_[Monthly_posting]

If you don't have anonymous ftp access, then send mail to
"mail-server@pit-manager.mit.edu" with the subject or body

    send usenet/comp.unix.questions/Frequently_Asked_Questions_about_Unix_-_with_Answers_[Monthly_posting]

  It would be a good idea for you to read this posting before posting, or at
least scan it, before posting questions to the comp.unix.* newsgroups again.

  And, by the way, one answer to your question is

    rm 'xmas card'

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au (Boyd Roberts) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.151552.16019@ifi.unizh.ch> zhou@unizh.ifi.unizh.ch writes:

>I would like to know from you on how to remove a file named: XXX XXX
>from the unix file system, e.g. 'rm xmas card', where 'xmas card' is
>a single file name which was saved from 'rn'.

    $ mv "xmas card" "easter egg"
    $ rm "easter egg"

Boyd Roberts			boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''