[comp.unix.questions] nroff to postscript translator

kapoor@plains.NoDak.edu (Sanju Kapoor) (03/21/91)

I am looking for a nroff/troff to postscript translator.
Is there a ftp site where I can get this .  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks a lot...

Sanju

In article <9043@plains.NoDak.edu>, kapoor@plains.NoDak.edu (Sanju Kapoor) writes:
|> I am looking for a nroff/troff to postscript translator.
|> Is there a ftp site where I can get this .  Any help would be greatly
|> appreciated.  Thanks a lot...

  Source requests better belong in comp.sources.wanted.

  There are at least two packages in the comp.sources.unix archives that can
be used to produce PostScript output from nroff/troff source code.  They are
"psroff" in volume 20 of the archives, and "tpscript" in volume 15.  These
archives are available in the /comp.sources.unix directory on uunet.uu.net and
other anonymous ftp archive sites.  It is usually a good idea to check the
"index" files of the main archives on uunet.uu.net or some other site before
posting a source request -- I found out about both of these packages by
looking in /comp.sources.unix/index for the strings "roff" and "postscript".

  You can find other, possibly more up-to-date sites for these packages by
telnet'ing to quiche.cs.mcgill.ca, logging in as "archie" with no password,
and typing "set search subcase" and then "prog tpscript" or "prog psroff".
You might also want to do "set sortby time" before you do the "prog" commands
in order to see the newest files first.  Archie has a "help" command you can
use to get more information about it.

  I did this and didn't find anything recent for tpscript, but did discover
the directory /pub/psroff on uunet.uu.net, which might be more up-to-date than
the version in comp.sources.unix.

  Note that the psroff being discussed here is different from the psroff that
Adobe sells.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.233513.19468@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <9043@plains.NoDak.edu>, kapoor@plains.NoDak.edu (Sanju Kapoor) writes:
>|> I am looking for a nroff/troff to postscript translator.
>|> Is there a ftp site where I can get this .  Any help would be greatly
>|> appreciated.  Thanks a lot...

>  There are at least two packages in the comp.sources.unix archives that can
>be used to produce PostScript output from nroff/troff source code.  They are
>"psroff" in volume 20 of the archives, and "tpscript" in volume 15.

Correction: neither psroff or tpscript generate Postscript output from troff
source.  They produce postscript output from troff *output* (psroff can also
generate laserjet and ditroff for ditroff filters).

(BTW: psroff works ONLY with CAT troff, tpscript works ONLY with ditroff.
Psroff 3.0 will work with real ditroff too)

Please don't use the version of psroff in the comp.sources.unix archives.
It's obsolete.  /pub/psroff on uunet is up-to-date (psroff 2.0, PL7)

>  Note that the psroff being discussed here is different from the psroff that
>Adobe sells.

F'r sure.  (I wrote it, I should know ;-)

(I've mailed the psroff info package off to Sanju separately)
--
Chris Lewis,
clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca or ...uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis