[comp.unix.questions] ioctl TIOCSTI question

mayer@sun.com (Ronald &) (03/12/91)

On a sparcstation, SunOS 4.1 I am having a problem using the termio
ioctl TIOCSTI [simulate terminal input] when using gcc.  While it
works as expected under cc, under gcc I get an "Inappropriate ioctl
for device" error message.  Any ideas what I'm missing?

    Ron Mayer
    sun!sono!mayer     mayer@sono.uucp

[A (short) example program and OS/system info follows:]

% cat ioc.c

/* This program works differently under gcc and cc. Why? */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/termios.h>
#include <errno.h>

main()
{
 char a;
 int fd=open("/dev/tty",O_RDWR);
 int ioctl_return;

 if (fd == -1) perror(NULL);

 a='l';
 ioctl(fd,TIOCSTI,&a);   /* should send characters as if typed to the tty*/
 a='s';
 ioctl(fd,TIOCSTI,&a);
 a='\n';
 ioctl_return = ioctl(fd,TIOCSTI,&a);

 if (ioctl_return == -1) perror(NULL);
}

%
% cc ioc.c
% a.out
ls
% ls                             [Note: The program "typed" this command]
a.out   ice.lst ioc.c   vhdl
%
%
% gcc ioc.c
% a.out
Inappropriate ioctl for device
%
%
%
% more /etc/motd
SunOS Release 4.1 (STANDALONE_1.2) #1: Wed Jul 25 00:05:22 PDT 1990
% arch -k
sun4c
%

pfalstad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Falstad) (03/13/91)

sono!mayer@sun.com (Ronald &) wrote:
>On a sparcstation, SunOS 4.1 I am having a problem using the termio
>ioctl TIOCSTI [simulate terminal input] when using gcc.  While it
>works as expected under cc, under gcc I get an "Inappropriate ioctl
>for device" error message.  Any ideas what I'm missing?
>/* This program works differently under gcc and cc. Why? */

> ioctl_return = ioctl(fd,TIOCSTI,&a);

Most ioctl's have this problem with ANSI C compilers.  The offending code
is stuff like this in <sys/ioccom.h>:

#define  _IOW(x,y,t) (_IOC_IN|((sizeof(t)&_IOCPARM_MASK)<<16)|('x'<<8)|y)
#define  TIOCSTI     _IOW(t, 114, char)   /* simulate terminal input */

Putting a macro argument in single quotes is non-ANSI.  The solution is
to run the fixincludes script that comes with gcc.  (Note that I
erroneously called this problem a bug in gcc in the zsh documentation.)

--
pfalstad@phoenix.princeton.edu   The Germans are disputing it! Hegel is
arguing that the reality is merely an a priori adjunct of non-absolutistic

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (03/25/91)

In article <MAYER.91Mar11104808@porky.sono.uucp> sono!mayer@sun.com (Ronald &) writes:
>On a sparcstation, SunOS 4.1 I am having a problem using the termio
>ioctl TIOCSTI [simulate terminal input] when using gcc.  While it
>works as expected under cc, under gcc I get an "Inappropriate ioctl
>for device" error message.  Any ideas what I'm missing?

On many machines, it is critically important that you run the fixincludes
script before trying to use your system's own native <ioctl.h> in any
programs which get compiled with gcc.

--

// Ron ("Shoot From The Hip") Guilmette
// Internet: rfg@ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg