[comp.unix.questions] Nutshell handbooks

levine@atpal.UUCP (Sysop account) (03/24/88)

Nutshell handbooks:  O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
                     981 Chestnut Street
                     Newton, Mass 02164   *
                     800-338-NUTS
( * listed elsewhere in their book as 02159)

Prices listed as follows:
		Managing UUCP & Usenet $12
      Using UUCP & Usenet  #9

Recommended (by me) even more than the Nutshell handbook on UUCP is
>Unix Communications< by the Waite Group (major book stores).  Excellent,
and covers NetNews and other aspects of communications, including
serial interface.

Rational Technologies, Inc. -- Jesse Levine
BBS: Atlantic Palisades: 718-238-7855
UUCP: ...!phri!bc-cis!lldev!levine
      ...!uunet!pwcmrd!skipnyc!atpal!levine
CIS: 71231,177       MCI: 341-3917

rcsmith@netsys.UUCP (Ray Smith) (03/25/88)

In article <110@atpal.UUCP> levine@atpal.UUCP (Sysop account) writes:

>Prices listed as follows:
>		Managing UUCP & Usenet $12
>      Using UUCP & Usenet  #9

The cost has gone up. Managing UUCP & Usenet is now $18.00 and
Using UUCP & Usenet is now $15.00 with a $3.00 charge for mailing.

Also there is a 2 week back order since they are releasing a new edition.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/25/88)

In article <110@atpal.UUCP> levine@atpal.UUCP (Sysop account) writes:

|Prices listed as follows:
|		Managing UUCP & Usenet $12

Last night, at our local Unix users group meeting, a fellow showed me a
four page printout of errors and omissions from this nutshell book, that
were to be sent to ORA fro use in the 2nd addition of this book.  He
strongly suggested waiting for the 2nd edition because the errors and
omissions are so grievous!

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/27/88)

In article <511@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>Last night, at our local Unix users group meeting, a fellow showed me a four
>page printout of errors and omissions from this nutshell book [Managing UUCP
>& USENET], that were to be sent to ORA fro use in the 2nd addition of this
>book.

The edition currently on the presses -- and the one that everyone has been
waiting for -- is the *fifth*, which has some substantial improvements over
the forth edition, especially with regard to SunOS UUCP and 4.3BSD. But there
was nothing drastically wrong with the forth edition, and it was very good
with regard to XENIX, CTIX, and BNU (HDB)-based systems.

<csg>

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (03/29/88)

I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer a couple of
articles that have recently appeared on the net.

In article <511@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> Last night, at our local Unix users group meeting, a fellow showed me a
> four page printout of errors and omissions from this nutshell book, that
> were to be sent to ORA fro use in the 2nd addition of this book.

We haven't received this "four page printout"...but I do
wonder what edition of the book they were based on.  There
have been several...we're up to the fourth edition, with a
fifth about to come out.  This latest edition has been
reviewed in detail by the developers of UUCP for 4.3BSD, and
while they did find some errors, most of them were related to machine
dependencies in the version of UUCP we used as our primary
test bed.

There is an awful lot of variation between different
versions of uucp, and it is easy to call things
"errors" that are really just differences from version to
version.  The latest edition (available in a couple of
weeks) expands the treatment of different versions of UUCP,
and points out more of the version-dependent areas.

Nonetheless, we will look forward to receiving any and all
error reports, since we update our books
frequently--whenever we receive any new information that we
think would be helpful to our readers.

In article <110@atpal.UUCP>, levine@atpal.UUCP (Sysop account) writes:
> Recommended (by me) even more than the Nutshell handbook on UUCP is
> >Unix Communications< by the Waite Group (major book stores).  Excellent,
> and covers NetNews and other aspects of communications, including
> serial interface.

Ah, but UNIX Communications says absolutely nothing about
setting up UUCP links or netnews.  It is strictly a user
book, analogous to our *Using UUCP and Usenet*.  Where I
would agree that it is stronger is that it covers things
like mail, kermit and xmodem as well as uucp.  There is
little or no overlap with *Managing UUCP and Usenet*.  There
is nothing on the market that comes even remotely close to
*Managing UUCP and Usenet*--much of what it covers isn't
written down anywhere else.

--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/31/88)

In article <1144@ora.UUCP> tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
|I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer a couple of
|articles that have recently appeared on the net.
|
|In article <511@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
|> Last night, at our local Unix users group meeting, a fellow showed me a
|> four page printout of errors and omissions from this nutshell book, that
|> were to be sent to ORA fro use in the 2nd addition of this book.
|>
|We haven't received this "four page printout"...but I do
|wonder what edition of the book they were based on.  There
|have been several...we're up to the fourth edition, with a
|fifth about to come out.  This latest edition has been
|reviewed in detail by the developers of UUCP for 4.3BSD, and
|while they did find some errors, most of them were related to machine
|dependencies in the version of UUCP we used as our primary
|test bed.
|
|There is an awful lot of variation between different
|versions of uucp, and it is easy to call things
|"errors" that are really just differences from version to
|version.  The latest edition (available in a couple of
|weeks) expands the treatment of different versions of UUCP,
|and points out more of the version-dependent areas.
|
|Nonetheless, we will look forward to receiving any and all
|error reports, since we update our books
|frequently--whenever we receive any new information that we
|think would be helpful to our readers.

I said he showed it to me, but I meant that he showed me that he had it!
 He wouldn't show me the contents OR make a copy for me.  So I can't
answer your (very reasonable) question.

I used the Fourth Edition in setting up and still had many questions.  I
don't know about actual errors, but it needs a much better index, as
well as a discussion of HDB grading.  I'd be happy to trade my marked up
copy for a copy of the newest edition.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334
Mercer College                  GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

crosenberg@cdp.UUCP (03/26/91)

Could you send me a catalog of the Nutshell titles on Unix
that you sell?

Charlie
Rosenberg
Tufts University Mfg. Resource Center
Anderson Hall, Room 203
Medford, MA  02155

Thank you.

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (03/27/91)

Charlie> Could you send me a catalog of the Nutshell titles on Unix
Charlie> that you sell?

Try mail to

	uunet!ora!nuts

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   |Erst kommt das Fressen, dann die Moral
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |		- B. Brecht