[comp.unix.questions] UNIX tape duplicator request

GED%wufpak.prime.com@relay.cs.net (Gantt Edmiston) (03/27/91)

Hello UNIX literate from one who is not!

I have a need and hopefully someone out there has a solution.

The problem:  The need to duplicate UNIX software on 60 MB data
cartridges.  I have a Prime EXL320 CPU which runs System 5 Version 3.1.2
UNIX.  I can (I have the Hardware) configure two 60 MB tape drives on
the same SCSI chain, if necessary.  (This would allow me to theoretically
do a tape-to-tape copy.)  If it is just as easy to do a
tape-to-disk-to-tape then ok also.  I want to DUPLICATE exactly the data
from the source tape to a blank tape so that they are functionally
identical.

As I stated from the beginning,  I am quite new to UNIX and would
appreciate your help with EXACT steps and procedures.

Thanks, Gantt Edmiston, PrimeService Customer Engineer
GED@WUFPAK.Prime.COM

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (03/27/91)

In article <26364@adm.brl.mil> GED%wufpak.prime.com@relay.cs.net (Gantt Edmiston) writes:

>Hello UNIX literate from one who is not!
>
>I have a need and hopefully someone out there has a solution.
>
>The problem:  The need to duplicate UNIX software on 60 MB data
>cartridges.  I have a Prime EXL320 CPU which runs System 5 Version 3.1.2
>UNIX.  I can (I have the Hardware) configure two 60 MB tape drives on
>the same SCSI chain, if necessary.  (This would allow me to theoretically
>do a tape-to-tape copy.)  If it is just as easy to do a
>tape-to-disk-to-tape then ok also.  I want to DUPLICATE exactly the data
>from the source tape to a blank tape so that they are functionally
>identical.

Take a look at the dd command.  The man page will tell you how to
set it up.

--

RUUD.VP%blx-cs.prime.com@relay.cs.net (Ruud van Poelgeest) (03/28/91)

Gannt,

I have a nice duplicator on my Sun workstation. It contains a few commands
who are not known on a EXL, but you can modify it.

You have to wait a few days because i'm in the middle of a upgrade.

Ruud van Poelgeest