[comp.unix.questions] Help on setting terminal lines

rapunzel@guug.guug.de (Peter Eckhardt) (03/26/91)

Does anyone know, how to specify dial in security on a
terminal line? I would like to set up the following
security scheme
    - our employees, should not be allowed to dial in but
      should be allowed to log in at our company ( on a
      terminal not a modem line )
   - our customers should be allowed to dial in ( and get
      a secure environment = Application Program, no shell)
   - i want to log in ( via modem ) and want to be called
     back by the system.

Is there anyone out, who tried anything like that ???
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Peter Eckhardt

martin@adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) (03/29/91)

In <650@guug.guug.de> rapunzel@guug.guug.de (Peter Eckhardt) writes:

>Does anyone know, how to specify dial in security on a
>terminal line? I would like to set up the following
>security scheme
>    - our employees, should not be allowed to dial in but
>      should be allowed to log in at our company ( on a
>      terminal not a modem line )
>   - our customers should be allowed to dial in ( and get
>      a secure environment = Application Program, no shell)
>   - i want to log in ( via modem ) and want to be called
>     back by the system.

In our extreme disgust with unix standard terminal handling, we replaced
getty with a program of our own. You could do that, handle whatever
protection scheme you need, then set your id and exec() whatever
you needed (dial back, application, etc). When you exit or the application
shuts down, the program gets respawned just like always.

You WILL need the terminal setting capabilities of getty; at least to
the extent of making the terminal usable. And if you felt real generous,
you could have the second machine in the universe to allow typeahead on
the password :-/.

You would have a secret password that would result in a) calling you and
b) exec'ing login. Your customers, not knowing the password, would get
the application. Of course, keeping the salesmen out of the application
could be a problem, knowing sales types...

Martin Golding                         | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236                              |  He who steals my code steals trash.
A Poor old decrepit Pick(tm) programmer ... Sympathize at:
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin@adpplz.uucp