[comp.unix.questions] Workstation "Policy"

johnj@welch.jhu.edu (John A. Johnston) (04/01/91)

In a growing environment of developers & administrative users (from me
to a staff of 30 in 4 years, no I'm not the boss) and the nearing task
of providing academic computing for pre-med & med students I am looking
for "Policy" documents.

We need to adopt some *formal* system use, workstation use and ethics
guidelines as a part of our computing environment.  Items from
selecting/assigning userid's, playing games (games are healthy),
newsgroup availability, root password knowledge (greater need for
developers, but certainly not all of them) and enforcement/punishment
where necessary for abuse (breaking accounts or other malicious acts).

Are there any published references or net-documents that deal with
these types of issues?

Many thanks - I'll send out the obl summary.
-johnj

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (04/01/91)

In <1991Apr1.143211.20005@welch.jhu.edu>, johnj@welch.jhu.edu writes:
>We need to adopt some *formal* system use, workstation use and ethics
>guidelines as a part of our computing environment.
>[...]
>Are there any published references or net-documents that deal with
>these types of issues?

   On ftp.cs.widener.edu [192.55.239.132] in pub/cud/schools and
 in pub/cud/networks, we've archived the acceptable use policies for a
 number of networks, colleges, and universities available for anon.
 FTP. (Any and all contributions are welcomed with open arms!)

Brendan
--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone