[comp.unix.questions] RCS with multiple customers + versions

tony@ajfcal.uucp (Tony Field) (04/02/91)

Is it possible to use RCS (posted recently to comp.sources.unix)
to administer multiple versions of software for multiple customers?

Each customer would use some "base" versions of the software, however,
would also have at at least two sets of sources: a "production" and and
an "in development" version.  Different customers might use different
"base" versions.  The various versions of the sources must reside on a
single system, not distributed at customers sites.

I was speculating that a sophisticated version of "rcsfreeze" might solve
the problem.  The man page for "rcsfreeze" refers to a system called
"CVS".  What is this?

tony...
  maybe uucp:        tony@ajfcal.uucp
                     ..uunet!decwrl!atha!ve6vq!calgary!ajfcal!tony
  maybe internet:    tony%ajfcal@cpsc.ucalgary.ca

sharnyo@chez.us.oracle.com (Andi Harnyo) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr02.030249.4488@ajfcal.uucp> tony@ajfcal.uucp (Tony Field) writes:
>I was speculating that a sophisticated version of "rcsfreeze" might solve
>the problem.  The man page for "rcsfreeze" refers to a system called
>"CVS".  What is this?

Tony,

CVS stands for Concurrent Version System. It's a GNU software and designed
to work on top of the RCS distribution.

From the man page:

     cvs is a front end to the  rcs(l)  revision  control  system
     which  extends the notion of revision control from a collec-
     tion of files in a single directory to a  hierarchical  col-
     lection  of  directories  consisting  of revision controlled
     files.  These directories and files can be combined together
     to  form  a  software  release.   cvs provides the functions
     necessary to manage these software releases and  to  control
     the  concurrent  editing  of  source  files  among  multiple
     software developers.

Hope it helps !

-Andi