[comp.unix.questions] naive question about turning off cursor

lam@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Michael Lam) (03/27/91)

Does anyone know how to turn off the cursor while running a
C program, maybe using curses.h.  I have read about curs_set
in the curses document but I got a ld error saying curs_set
not found during linking.  It seems like curs_set is coming
from <term.h> of system V, but I am using SunOs 4.1 and it has
no <term.h>.  I tried calling leaveok(stdscr,TRUE) but it does
not turn the cursor off.

Any comment will be very much appreciated.

-Michael

root@escape.radig.de (0000-Admin(0000)) (04/03/91)

lam@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Michael Lam) writes:

>Does anyone know how to turn off the cursor while running a
>C program, maybe using curses.h.
>Any comment will be very much appreciated.

hi,
i don't know of any CURSES way of turning the cursor on/off, however there
is a termcap/terminfo capability, which you can use. it is:

TERMINFO:
civis		- Make cursor invisible
cvvis		- Make cursor very visible
cnorm		- Make cursor normal

the TERMCAP equivalents are: vs, vi, and ve.

also, you might check whether your terminal has a "cursor is hard to see"
glitch. You can find that out with the TERMINFO flag chts. there is no
TERMCAP equivalent, though, so that flag might not be in the SUN-OS terminal
description databases.

hope that helps you.

so long,
			felix

--
Felix Gaehtgens, Homburger Str. 26, 6000 Frankfurt/main(argc, argv) 90, FRG
EMAIL: felix@escape.radig.de or root@escape.radig.de

  Are you sure that the terminal you're using supports turning the cursor off?

  It seems likely to me that if that capability is lacking from the terminal,
then the call to disable the cursor will succeed, but nothing will actually
happen.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace