[comp.unix.questions] signal & slow devices

wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) (04/03/91)

System V manual indicate that an operation, like read, write on a slow
device (is a parralel port considered as slow?) may be interrupted and
return -1 upond receipt of a caught signal.

In the cas of a write, can I be sure that in case I get a -1 return code
*none* of the buffer has been sent to the device.?

--
Christophe Wolfhugel (on irc: Zolf)   |  Email: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA Lyon - Departement Informatique  |  "Take care when driving, 90% of the"

dkeisen@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) (04/04/91)

In article <26437@adm.brl.mil> wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) writes:

>In the cas of a write, can I be sure that in case I get a -1 return code
>*none* of the buffer has been sent to the device.?

Yes. It is not an error if anything at all was actually written to the
device. If you tried to write 2000 bytes and only 3 were written, write will
return 3.

--
Dave Eisen
1101 San Antonio Rd. Suite 102