[comp.unix.questions] Proper method of tarring to a pipe, without ``blocksize=1'' later?

malc@equinox.unr.edu (Malcolm Carlock) (03/30/91)

When using a command of the form

	tar cf - file ... | rsh somewhere dd of=/dev/rmt0

Is there a way of getting the remote dd to write the tape such that
the blocksize of the final tar image on tape is something other than 1?

I've tried "ibs=1 obs=512", no ibs/obs args at all, and various other
ibs/obs combinations, and a number of conv options.  I still get
"tar: blocksize=1" each time I subsequently try a tar [tx] on the tape
(directly, on the remote machine.)

Grrr.

Malcolm L. Carlock                      Internet:  malc@unr.edu
                                        UUCP:      unr!malc
                                        BITNET:    malc@equinox

arthur@sgi.com (Arthur Evans) (04/03/91)

In article <5909@tahoe.unr.edu> malc@equinox.unr.edu (Malcolm Carlock) writes:
>When using a command of the form
>
>	tar cf - file ... | rsh somewhere dd of=/dev/rmt0
>
>Is there a way of getting the remote dd to write the tape such that
>the blocksize of the final tar image on tape is something other than 1?

I think you're asking the wrong question.  I suspect
that tar is writing a with a blocksize of 1, since
it's writing to standard output.  Try using the 'b'
option to tar to specify a blocking factor.  Read your
tar man page under the 'b' option.  Mine says:

"Due to the blocking algorithm, a tar tape created by writing
to the standard output should be read from standard input."

So you may need to read the tape with "tar xf - < /dev/rmt0"
or even (ich) "dd if=/dev/rmt0 | tar xf -".

As always, your milage may vary.  Good luck.

-arthur

--
Arthur Evans -- Information Decorator, Akbar and Jeff's Documentation Hut

kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org (Powers) (04/04/91)

>>	tar cf - file ... | rsh somewhere dd of=/dev/rmt0
>Try using the 'b'
>option to tar to specify a blocking factor.  Read your
>tar man page under the 'b' option.  Mine says:
>"Due to the blocking algorithm, a tar tape created by writing
>to the standard output should be read from standard input."

You also have the B option to force input and output to 20 blocks per
record.  This allows tar to work across a communications channel where
the blocking may not be maintained.

--

Kelly-Erin Powers		The MITRE Corporation
Unix Systems Group		Burlington Road
(617) 271-2143			Bedford, MA 01730
kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org	linus!mbunix!kepowers