[comp.unix.questions] DISCONNECT command for the UNIX system

andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) (03/29/91)

Some computer systems (like VMS or VM/CMS) have the DISCONNECT
command. This command sometimes more convinient then LOGOFF,
bacause it saves all the terminal and environment characteristics
and you can re-login really quickly.
Have anybody heard about the software which implements this
command for UNIX ?
Or , maybe , anybody have ideas how to create such a program ?

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (03/29/91)

Andrei> Some computer systems (like VMS or VM/CMS) have the DISCONNECT
Andrei> command. This command sometimes more convinient then LOGOFF,
Andrei> bacause it saves all the terminal and environment characteristics
Andrei> and you can re-login really quickly.
Andrei> Have anybody heard about the software which implements this
Andrei> command for UNIX ?

Get Oliver Laumann's latest "screen" program from the
comp.sources.unix FTP archives, on say, uunet.uu.net.  Works on
Berkeley style UNIX.
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708 979 6364

net@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Oliver Laumann) (03/29/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Mar28195222@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:
> Get Oliver Laumann's latest "screen" program from the
> comp.sources.unix FTP archives, on say, uunet.uu.net.  Works on
> Berkeley style UNIX.

There is a newer version than that from comp.sources.unix.  It's available
via anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu (gnu/screen-2.1.tar.Z).

In article <1287@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) writes:
> Some computer systems (like VMS or VM/CMS) have the DISCONNECT
> command. This command sometimes more convinient then LOGOFF,
> bacause it saves all the terminal and environment characteristics
> and you can re-login really quickly.

If you're using a BSD system, my pty program will give you exactly this
sort of session management, with disconnect and reconnect commands and a
few extra features that won't get in your way. You can anonymous ftp pty
from pub/hier/pty/* on stealth.acf.nyu.edu.

---Dan

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Navarra) (04/04/91)

In article <19490:Apr403:44:1791@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>In article <1287@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) writes:
>> Some computer systems (like VMS or VM/CMS) have the DISCONNECT
>> command. This command sometimes more convinient then LOGOFF,
>> bacause it saves all the terminal and environment characteristics
>> and you can re-login really quickly.
>
>If you're using a BSD system, my pty program will give you exactly this
>sort of session management, with disconnect and reconnect commands and a
>few extra features that won't get in your way. You can anonymous ftp pty
>from pub/hier/pty/* on stealth.acf.nyu.edu.
>
>---Dan

       USE SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND RTFM

--
From the Lab of the MaD ScIenTiST: