[comp.unix.questions] User limit in passwd file

shirkg@gordon-emh1.army.mil ( Shirk) (04/02/91)

Is there a limit to the number of lines or characters in the
passwd file.  We seem to have found it at about 903 lines.

We are running UNIX V.3 on an UNISYS 5000/95.  I think Arix
did the original implementation of this OS.

*  George W. Shirk                      |  AV 780-3245                      *
*  Systems Administrator                |  COMM (404)791-3245               *
*  U.S. Army Computer Science School    |  shirkg@gordon-emh1.army.mil      *
*  FT. Gordon GA                        |                                   *

dhawk@well.sf.ca.us (David Hawkins) (04/05/91)

shirkg@gordon-emh1.army.mil ( Shirk) writes:

>Is there a limit to the number of lines or characters in the
>passwd file.  We seem to have found it at about 903 lines.

well: wc /etc/passwd
    5304   12678  391753 /etc/passwd

on a Sequent B8 with Dynix 3.0.14   ;-)

later, david
--
David Hawkins  System Operator  {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
To ridicule philosophy is really to philosophize.  -- Blaise Pascal