[comp.unix.questions] Unix disk duplication....

wayned@hanys.UUCP (Wayne) (04/02/91)

	I have an AT&T 6386 wgs machine which is used for developement
and creating unix installation packages for software I write. The problem
that I have is it takes a long time to create 100's of distribution sets
by formating floppies and then using cpio to build the packages .  Can I
purchase a disk duplicator for unix floppies? Or is there a better/faster
way???

Wayne Daley
UUCP: crdgw1!sixhub!hanys!wayned

In article <131@hanys.UUCP> wayned@hanys.UUCP (Wayne) writes:

>	I have an AT&T 6386 wgs machine which is used for developement
>and creating unix installation packages for software I write. The problem
>that I have is it takes a long time to create 100's of distribution sets
>by formating floppies and then using cpio to build the packages .  Can I
>purchase a disk duplicator for unix floppies? Or is there a better/faster
>way???

It's about a 40 line program to prompt for a source diskette, open a floppy,
malloc() the appropriate amount of memory, read() the whole thing and
then loop prompting for destination diskettes if you hard-code the
device name and size.

You can probably do just about as well just using cp or dd to copy in
a master disk to a file, then back out again.  Just be sure to use
the character device for the size floppy you want.  You can even use
zcat >device if you want to compress the image files, and wrap a
shell script around it so anyone can do it.

For 100's of sets, that is probably the best way.  For 1000's you will
want to have a service company do it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

wayned@hanys.UUCP (Wayne) writes:

>	I have an AT&T 6386 wgs machine which is used for developement
>and creating unix installation packages for software I write. The problem
>that I have is it takes a long time to create 100's of distribution sets
>by formating floppies and then using cpio to build the packages .  Can I
>purchase a disk duplicator for unix floppies? Or is there a better/faster
>way???

The best way is to buy a duplicator.  They should be able to duplicate
the disk (including formatting the copy) reguardless of the contents of the
disk.

One company that I have some info on is CopyMaster.  They sell an automatic
disk copier (just load the bunch of disks and it will do all the work).

Another company (ALF) has an "attended" copying machine that does the format
and copy in 28 seconds, but you have to be there to switch disks.

Contact info:
		Copy Master:		1-800-882-8444
		ALF Products Inc:	1-800-321-4688

NOTE: I have not used the products (nor even seen them used), so this is not
a recommendation of either one.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) (04/08/91)

In article <131@hanys.UUCP> wayned@hanys.UUCP (Wayne) writes:

>	I have an AT&T 6386 wgs machine which is used for developement
>and creating unix installation packages for software I write. The problem
>that I have is it takes a long time to create 100's of distribution sets
>by formating floppies and then using cpio to build the packages .  Can I
>purchase a disk duplicator for unix floppies? Or is there a better/faster
>way???
>
>Wayne Daley
>UUCP: crdgw1!sixhub!hanys!wayned

Contact Rimage (old name was MST) at 800-553-8312.  They make 3.5" floppy copiers,
5.25" floppy copiers and QIC-24 Cartridge Tape copiers.

Our Organization uses these products and we are 100% satisfied.

Sincerely,

John Urban