[comp.unix.questions] Spreadsheets for 386 Unix.

jessea@hbmc.uucp (Jesse W. Asher) (04/03/91)

I'm looking for recommendations for spreadsheets that will run under
a 386 Unix (preferably SysVR4).  I've discounted Lotus because I've
heard that it is such a hog.  So I'd like to find a spreadsheet that will
run under Unix and which I can convert dos Lotus spreadsheets to.  This
latter is not essential, but very desireable.  Does anyone have any
preferences?

--
      Jesse W. Asher        NIC Handle:  JA268         Phone: (901)386-5061
                       Health Sphere of America Inc.

news@rushpc (Usenet news administrator) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.223521.3736@hbmc.uucp> jessea@hbmc.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>I'm looking for recommendations for spreadsheets that will run under
>a 386 Unix (preferably SysVR4).  I've discounted Lotus because I've
>heard that it is such a hog.  So I'd like to find a spreadsheet that will
>run under Unix and which I can convert dos Lotus spreadsheets to.  This
>latter is not essential, but very desireable.  Does anyone have any
>preferences?

I don't want to sound like an add but, I'm running Lotus 1-2-3 and am very
happy with it.  It does take up 7MB of precious disk space and would
probably run faster if I had a co-processor.  However, I'm happy because of
the price.

I just recently purchased AT&T's UNIX SVR3.2.3, 16 user license with
developement set, Old C and ANSI C.  AT&T gave me free of charge Lotus
1-2-3 multi-user edition for UNIX System V, 10 user license.  This retails
for $1295.00.  All DOS Lotus spreadsheet files are usable as is, after you
copy them to the UNIX filesystem using doscp(1).
--

John
----

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr2.223521.3736@hbmc.uucp> jessea@hbmc.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>I'm looking for recommendations for spreadsheets that will run under
>a 386 Unix (preferably SysVR4).  I've discounted Lotus because I've
>heard that it is such a hog.  So I'd like to find a spreadsheet that will
>run under Unix and which I can convert dos Lotus spreadsheets to.  This
>latter is not essential, but very desireable.  Does anyone have any
>preferences?

Lotus 1-2-3 is good, but if you're going to be running X,
why not take a look at eXclaim!?

eXclaim! has complete Lotus v2.01 compatibility, with
extensions that make sense in the Unix/X environment.  I
like it a lot.

It needs about 5 MB of disk space (fonts take up a lot of
space) and about 1.5 - 2.0 MB of RAM.

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

  Have you looked at the public-domain spreadsheet sc?

  It is available from the archives listed at the end of this message.

  Note that requests of this sort are probably more appropriate in
comp.sources.wanted than they are in comp.unix.questions.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

2) (UUCP) marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman)
    dumbcat Any ACU 9600 14157850194 "" \d\r in:--in: nuucp word: guest
    dumbcat Any ACU 2400 14157850194 "" \d\r in:-BREAK-in: nuucp word: guest
    dumbcat Any ACU 1200 14157850194 "" \d\r in:-BREAK-in:-BREAK-in: nuucp word:
 guest
  Note: dumbcat speaks 9600 at V.32 -- sorry, this is not a Telebit modem.
  (Grab dumbcat!~/INDEX for a complete list)

3) or from here: (a brand new Telebit T2500)
    sawmill Any ACU 9600 13174746472 "" \d\r in:--in: nuucp word: UUCP
        Request: uucp sawmill!~/sc614.cpio.Z !~ (142986 bytes)
        Or for Sc6.13 to Sc6.14 patches: uucp sawmill!~/Scpch613-614.Z !~
                (5413 bytes)

cohen@mips2.cr.bull.com (Steve Cohen) (04/08/91)

An excellent UNIX based spreadsheet is Wingz.  We have it as an
option on out 486 based PROstation that runs SCO ODT and it runs
extremely well.  The graphical capabilities are great.

Steve Cohen
Bull HN